Search This Blog

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Too Clever by Half by Will North

Too Clever by Half

In May NetGalley offered Will North's Harm None, a new series featuring CID Detective Sergeant Morgan Davies and Scene of Crime officer Calum West.  

I liked the setting in Cornwall and the characters, so I was pleased when I found Too Clever by Half on NetGalley in June.  Cornwall is a beautiful peninsula surrounded by the Celtic Sea to the north and west and by the English Channel to the south.  It has a vibrant history and has inspired many artists, writers, and poets.  Daphne Du Maurier set many of her novels, including Rebecca, in Cornwall.

The body of an unidentified man was discovered far out from the coast, and Davies and West need to discover the man's identity and who murdered him.  So the romantic setting of Cornwall, a murder, modern "Druids," the discovery of priceless ancient artifacts, witchcraft, jealousy, and betrayals all come together in the second in the Davies & West series.  

My only disappointment is that Tamsin and Tegan only made a brief appearance.


Read in June.

NetGalley/Booktrope

Police Procedural/British Detectives.  June 1, 2015.  Print version:  291 pages.

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoy British mysteries, but I don't read them as much as I used to. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my favorite series are either set in the UK or written by British authors. I think Jane Casey is my favorite right now, but I'm still sad there will be no more novels from Reginald Hill.

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued by the setting as I read British/Irish authors fairly regularly, the Cornwall region not too common in my reading experience. Yes, Du Maurier I've read and enjoyed. Oh, you reminded me to look for my next Jane Casey story. I only read the first one and enjoyed the heck out of it. I think I would probably read this series, Jen, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I re-read Rebecca a couple of years ago, but other than that I haven't read Du Maurier since I was a teenager. Maybe it is time for a trip to the library to see what they have--I'd like to re-read Frenchman's Creek which is set in Cornwall.

      I've really enjoyed all of Jane Casey's books; I finished another one in June that I haven't reviewed yet. I'm so far behind on reviews!

      Delete
  3. The setting definitely sounds intriguing and oh, how I enjoyed reading Rebecca! This sounds like it has a great premise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed both of the books in this series. I like the archaeological connections and the mystic elements along with the police procedural. :)

      Delete
  4. Jenclair, I think I will have to look into this series! I love books like that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, start with the first one and see what you think!

      Delete
  5. Definitely a series I need to look into as I love those British crime mysteries!

    ReplyDelete