Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan

Age of Myth by Michael Sullivan

I wrote about this one in early April, but wanted to save my review until closer to publication.  (Note: After reading Age of Myth, I went on a Sullivan binge and read everything in the Riyria series, although I didn't review all of them.  I love Royce and Hadrian!)  

But it was Age of Myth that introduced me to Mr. Sullivan and his fantasy, and it takes things back a step. Back to Riyria thousands of years before Royce and Hadrian come along.  

I'm not much for gods in fantasy, so when Raithe kills a god and becomes a legend as a "god killer," I wasn't sure that the book was going to appeal to me.  However, men create gods in their own image, whether physical or metaphorical, and it soon becomes clear that the Fhrey, a powerful race with magical abilities,  have become gods to subjugated races.  At that point, I was all in.

The world-building is exemplary; the characters are as diverse as any group of people can produce--the good, the foolish, the arrogant, the brave, the corrupt, the vicious, the honorable.  The plot is exciting and full of energy.  I loved it. 

Sullivan's characters come off the page and choosing a favorite is difficult, but there are several that I couldn't help but fall in love with.  

High fantasy at its best, The Age of Myth is the first in a new series, and I can't wait for the next one!

NetGalley/Random House/Ballentine

Fantasy.  June 28, 2016.  Print length:  433 pages.

12 comments:

  1. Such high praise, Jenclair! This sounds like a must read. I have to read this one. Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting. I don't do too much high fantasy, but I'll definitely keep this one in mind for the next time in the mood for some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been participating in Carl's Once Upon a Time challenge for years, and I fall in love with fantasy again during each challenge. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting! I don't think I've ever come across such themes/world building like this book so it has definitely piqued my interest. Thanks for sharing, Jenclair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an adventure I'm eager to continue! And Melody, I got both your postcard and your letter (same day) on Sat.--thanks!

      Delete
  4. I have been eagerly awaiting this one ever since you mentioned awhile ago that you were going to read it. It sounds good to me, and I researched the author and he sounds like someone I would enjoy. I am very picky about my fantasy authors/titles. I think this would be a good fit, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely wan to check him out! I have for ages, but your excitement recently has made me more interested! (I think I am going to get back into postcard sending, so once I settle down you will likely get a card from me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed all that I've read by Sullivan! I'll look for a postcard from you, Kelly!

      Delete
  6. I am eager to read this one. I've heard of this author through you and been doing research on him, and he tries to keep his fantasy family-friendly, which is interesting. I will be on the look out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His books are full of adventure and have great characters! I think you will like them, Rita!

      Delete