Search This Blog

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Memories of Ash by Intasar Khanani

Memories of Ash: The Sunbolt Chronicles Book 2 by Intasar Khanani continues the adventures of  Hitomi, who made her first appearance in Sunbolt.  

I've waited a long time for this one and am delighted with Memories of Ash.  I adored Sunbolt (reviewed here) and recommend reading it first to get some of the background.  

Briefly:  Hitomi lost her memories and nearly her life when she used her sunbolt in the previous installment.  A year with Brigit Stormwind has healed Hitomi physically, but her memories have not fully returned.  Stormwind has provided Hitomi with shelter and training for a year, when she is suddenly summoned by the High Council of Mages to stand trial for treason.

Alarmed by an intercepted communication, Hitomi prepares herself to follow Stormwind and  attempt to sway the High Council.  She experiences some narrow escapes and harrowing adventures on the journey, and by the time she arrives, Stormwind has already been convicted and sentenced.  Hitomi, our intrepid heroine, has no intention of abandoning her mentor....

Khanani's prose flows and her characters live and breathe; some of the very minor characters live as fully in this world as do the more important characters.  Magic and adventure at its best with a female protagonist who struggles to do the right thing.

What else?

*Hitomi makes mistakes, but has sound ethical and moral values. 
*Hitomi doesn't expect to do everything on her own.  Sometimes she asks for help.
*This isn't a romance; it is an adventure.
*I love Val and so many of the friends Hitomi meets along the way.  But mostly Val.

I read it the day it appeared on my Kindle (I'd pre-ordered it) and my only complaint is having to wait to find out what happens in the Burnt Lands.

Oh, and Sunbolt is a novella, but Memories of Ash is a full-length novel.  

Purchased for next to nothing!  A bargain at any price.  

Fantasy.  May 30, 2016.  Print length: 358 pages.  





8 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked this one, Jenclair. I have Sunbolt on my wish list and look forward to reading it one day, along with this one. I like that Hitomi doesn't try to do everything on her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed both of them, Wendy! I also enjoyed Thorn, her fairy tale retelling of the Goose Girl.

      Delete
  2. I have been seeing this around. I really need to read her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I think you would like her books, Kelly.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for your review of Memories of Ash, Jenclair! I am so happy you enjoyed it so much. Hitomi is such a fun character to write--she's awesome and flawed, the problem and the solution all bundled up into one. So glad you enjoyed this next part of her story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitomi IS an awesome character. :) Thanks for writing such enjoyable stories; please keep at it!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fun series! Will be checking this out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great fun! I really like the characters, and this series is one I can recommend to my granddaughter who just turned 13. :)

      Delete