Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Look for Me by Lisa Gardner

 
In 2016, I read Find Me by Gardner, a dark book, but a fascinating one (reviewed here).  Gardner's D.D. Warren series is one of my favorites, but Find Me was especially intriguing because of the character of Flora Dane.  

Look for Me doubled my enjoyment because Gardner brought back Flora Dane, and (gradually) the disciplined detective D.D. Warren and the "survivor-turned-avenger" Flora Dane are able to work together to solve the murder of a family.

Four members of a family are murdered and a teenage girl is missing.  It is uncertain whether Roxy is also a victim, or perhaps, the guilty party.  This isn't the story of the perfect family, but it is a story of efforts made to overcome some of the dysfunctions that exist.  

I liked Gardner's empathetic approach to the characters and difficulties in the novel.  While often easier to reduce things to black and white, life rarely operates without backstories.  

Here's hoping that Gardner will continue the partnership of D.D. and Flora.  While I enjoyed this series before Flora arrived in Find Me, the undeclared partnership works even better--and I want more of these strong and independent women working together.

(I mentioned this book here back in November as one of the ARCs that I would have to wait to review.)

Read in November; blog review scheduled for  Jan. 23, 2018.

NetGalley/Penguin Group

Crime/Police Procedural.  Feb. 6, 2018.  Print length:  400 pages.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm excited! I read Find Me and really liked Flora Dane. So I'm very happy to hear that she's in another novel. Can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way the two women have formed an alliance. Maybe they don't agree on methods, but they work well together anyway.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything by her in a while and this is definitely on my radar. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting on a number of levels. Dysfunctional families working to function, foster care, and of course, a murder mystery!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed Find Me a lot so of course I'm not going to miss this one, since it features Flora Dane. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora Dane adds such an intriguing element to a series I already enjoyed. Hope you will like this one as well, Melody!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like there is real chemistry between D.D. and Flora in terms of them working together. I haven't read this one or Find Me, but both sound good!

    ReplyDelete