Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Reviews and Challenges

I am all caught up on reviews!  I scheduled them to post over a 2 day period, and now they are all up, over, and out of my way.

2010 Once Upon a Time Challenge - completed (although I never posted links on the site)

Troll Fell - Katherine Langrish
Warriors - Erin Hunter
 Troll Blood - Katherine Langrish
Spellwright - Blake Charlton
Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenneggar
Hounding the Moon - P.R. Frost
Catalyst:  A Tale of the Baroque Cats - Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
The Pysick Book of Deliverance Dane - Katherine Howe
The Magicians - Lev Grosman
The Owl Killers - Karen Maitland

I only participate in 2 challenges, now:  Carl's RIP Challenge and his Once Upon a Time Challenge.  I don't even do a very good job at those because I don't report in, but I look forward to both of them each year.

Last year, I challenged myself to read more nonfiction and did so pretty successfully--especially as I was reading in areas that really interested me.  This year has been mostly escape literature. 

At the end of this month, I'll evaluate my reading, and maybe resolve to change some things, but I think I'm still in the escape reading mode for the moment.

6 comments:

  1. It's kind of funny how reading tastes can change from time to time. Lately, real life has presented so many challenges to me that I find myself reading more escape fiction than I have in a long time - and very little nonfiction compared to the last few years. I suppose we read what we need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been kind of in an escape-reading mood, too, although I've fallen so dreadfully far behind on books I "need" to read (ARCs) that I kind of need to focus.

    I can't possibly comment on everything I've missed in the last couple of weeks, but I went directly to your review of The Magicians to see what you thought, since I walked past it in Borders and wondered if it was any good. "Depressing" books are the kind I most diligently avoid, so thanks for the forewarning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, congrats on finishing your challenge. I feel like my reading hasn't been as broad this year. I'm pretty much just reading fiction and mysteries. I love them of course but I really am missing out on graphic novels, non-fiction, etc. Ah well, let's see how the rest of the year pans out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam - Our tastes do change and often run in cycles. Escaping into a book has always been a way for me to deal with stress. Yes, I think you are exactly right, we read what we need to read.

    Bookfool - I've gotten several ARCs out of the way, but need to get back to the library because I need to have a list of books I'm looking for.

    It's summer! Have patience with yourself on the "need" to read books and have fun with the "want" to read books.

    Iliana - Maybe the condition of the world is influencing the need for escape literature. I'm mostly drawn to mysteries and thrillers, myself right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caught up on reviews! I want to be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Well, I was on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete