Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

14 by Peter Clines

14 is a strange combination of a book:  the beginning is reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby, it then slides into a kind of Friends detective group, and it concludes in the manner of Lovecraftian science fiction.

I liked the initial strangeness of the apartment building with secrets.  I liked the way the apartment dwellers eventually unite to unravel some of the strangeness of the building's architecture and many other unusual situations like the padlocked door of apartment 14, so I was carried along with this flow...

until the Lovecraftian elements began to appear.  I appreciate H.P. Lovecraft's influence on horror and science fiction and have enjoyed the works of several authors influenced by him, but I'm unable to really love the genre.  Kind of like the fact that I appreciate the skill involved in operatic performances, but don't really enjoy them.

Are you a fan of Lovecraft's cosmic horror?  If so, you will probably enjoy this one!  Sadly, for me, I liked the first half much more than the second.

Net Galley/Permuted Press.  Chosen by Audible.com as the best science fiction novel of 2012.

Science Fiction/Horror.  2012.  Print version 370 pages.  
ISBN-10: 1618680528


2 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by Lovecraft, so can't say, but I admit I found the description of this one quite interesting--the shift in story-type, I mean. I don't know if it's for me (I'm really picky about the horror I'll read), but I'm curious. Maybe I can have my husband read it and he can tell me if I'll like it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Sounds like a good plan!

    ReplyDelete