Search This Blog

Saturday, January 04, 2014

What She Saw: Forensic Handwriting Mysteries by Sheila Lowe

What She Saw caught my interest because the blurb mentioned that it was the latest in a series about a court-approved expert on handwriting analysis.  As it turned out, the handwriting analysis plays only a small part in this mystery, but I will check on some of the other books in the series.

Initially, the novel hooked me with a young woman on a train who has no idea who she is or how she came to be on the train or where she is going.  

Unfortunately, the novel seemed to lose its impact as the mystery widened and some of the plot twists failed to feel believable.  I've read novels in which plot twists are totally far-fetched, but that somehow manage to feel credible.  In this novel, some of the twists involve technology that may already exist or are certainly in the foreseeable future, and yet felt...false.

While I had no intention of abandoning the novel and that says something, ultimately, it did not fulfill my expectations.

I just noticed that Amazon Reviews are extremely positive, but Goodreads are less so.

I still would like to read some of the earlier books in the series that evidently have more to do with handwriting analysis.

Read in Dec., 2013.

NetGalley/Cameron Publicity

Mystery.  2013.  Print version:  280 pages.  

4 comments:

  1. I've read one of her mysteries - I'm sure it was the first one - and it was really good. The handwriting analysis was what drew me in as I thought that was interesting. I haven't kept up with this series though, actually didn't realize she was still writing them, so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia Rose, the handwriting analyst, had only a very small role in this one. I do think I'll check on Lowe's first book in this series because handwriting analysis fascinates me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious about this series now that you mention it, Jenclair & Iliana. I will have to check out the first in the series. I like the idea of reading about a handwriting analyst. It's too bad this particular book wasn't better though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy - I do want to begin at the beginning of the series. I have a feeling this one is a little different from the reviews I read on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete