Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2016

I Will Never Catch Up with Reviews...

The Homeplace by Kevin Wolf.  

Description:  Chase Ford was the first of four generations of Ford men to leave Comanche County, Colorado. For Chase, leaving saved the best and hid the worst. But now, he has come home. His friends are right there waiting for him. And so are his enemies.
Then the murder of a boy, a high school basketball star just like Chase, rocks the small town. When another death is discovered— one that also shares unsettling connections to him—law enforcement’s attention turns towards Chase, causing him to wonder just what he came home to.
A suspenseful, dramatic crime novel, The Homeplace captures the stark beauty of life on the Colorado plains.

 A couple of the minor characters and the setting were more interesting than either the main character or the plot.  

NetGalley/St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books

Mystery.  Sept. 6, 2016.  Print length:  272 pages.


The King's Traitor by Jeff Wheeler is the final entry in the Kingfountain trilogy.

Owen Kisskadon finally decides that perhaps his oath to King Severn Argentine must be reconsidered.  His new mission to incite war in another province proves the final blow, and Owen looks into his already disturbed conscience.

I've enjoyed this trilogy with its alternate English history and mythology, but this final one seems a bit too conveniently rushed.  This is a series to read in order, but I liked the first two books better than this final installment. 

NetGalley/47 North

Fantasy.  Sept. 6, 2016.  Print length:  386 pages.



The Cross-legged Knight by Candace Robb in the 8th in the Owen Archer series.  This is one of my favorite medieval mystery series because Candace Robb not only evokes the 14th c city of York in such detail, but has managed to create such interesting characters (both fictional and historic) who develop from one book to another. 

The title comes from the legend that knights who have been on a Crusade were often depicted with crossed legs.  As in her previous books, Robb manages to introduce history without being pedantic, as well as plot an intriguing mystery.

I've reviewed several of Robb's novels, and even if this is not my favorite, I continue to love this series. 

Purchased.

Historic Mystery.  Print length:  316 pages.


The Guilt of Innocents, book 9 in the Owen Archer series. Well, sometimes I can't resist "just one more" book in a series.   This fictional mystery was inspired by a real incident, and Robb's imagination involves Owen Archer.

The characters continue to be enriched, especially Alisoun and Jasper, whose roles have enlarged.  Magda could anchor a series on her own.

Robb's ability to draw the reader into the lives of her characters, those who are real and those who are fictional, but who have enough emotional depth to seem real, is one of the strengths of this series.

Because the characters and the events in their lives are so important, it is best to begin this series at the beginning--even if each one can serve as a stand-alone.  

I have only two more books Owen Archer books left to read, so I'm going to resist reading another right now.  I don't want the series to end and want to savor it for longer.

Purchased.

Historic Mystery.  2015.  Print length:  304 pages.

14 comments:

  1. I love that title: The Cross-Legged Knight. I've never read any of Robb's books, but this series sounds like one to check out. And congrats on getting four reviews on one post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good series, especially if you like historical mysteries!

      Delete
  2. You are a reading machine this year! And lots of good looking titles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for introducing me to the Owen Archer series. I'd like to try it out.
    I read another review on Amazon and the person said she thinks the author didn't feel the need to insert every detail of her research into the series just to make it believable. That is so important to me-- don't be an info dump just because you can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some authors are skilled at giving historical information in a way that gives authenticity to the novel!

      Delete
  4. I love the title of your post and can totally relate :)
    The mysteries sound really good even the first one sounds like it has potential. I wonder if that is the start of a new series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Such a frequent complaint! So much more fun to sit down with the next book than to write a review.

      Delete
  5. Ha! I'm still working on reviews for books I read in March! I keep telling myself there's no rush. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my problems--there really is no rush. On the other hand, that backlog of books to review becomes overwhelming at times! :)

      Delete
  6. The Homeplace sounds good to me!

    Unlike you, I'm behind on my reading but I've managed to get caught up on reading on The Fireman. Review will be forthcoming. Can't say that I loved it but it was so different from what I've read lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am eager to hear what you thought about The Fireman!

      Delete
  7. That's too bad about The Homeplace. Jeff Wheeler's books do sound good, although I'm sorry the final book wasn't better. I've had that happen more than once in my own reading of trilogies or series too. It's always disappointing when that happens. I am glad you are enjoying Candace Robb's books. I really want to read them at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found several times that the first book in a series is my favorite. Sometimes that may just be the excitement of meeting new characters and the anticipation of plot. :)

      Delete