Search This Blog

Sunday, July 21, 2019

More June and July Reading

Darkness on the Fens is the 10th? book in Joy Ellis' Nikki Galena series, which I read like gum drops with each new entry.

Dark Greenborough is a traditional festival celebrated much like Halloween with ghost walks, haunted houses, and people dressed as zombies, monsters, and other creepy characters.  Nikki isn't happy about the darker content of the festival which has changed since she was young, but the festival is an economic boon for the town.  This year, however, a note arrives telling the police that the festival this will be dangerous.  The reality is even worse.  (from my review on my other blog)


I liked Dave's role in this one and his interest in historic homes.  Joseph's friend Victor is becoming a staple in trying to keep Nikki's mother Eve and her friends safe.

This is not my favorite in the series because of the elaborate and gruesome plot, but Ellis' characters are, as always, worth catching up with. :)  And Eve and her "golden girl" network is really growing on me.  I'd love to see them get a book of their own.

NetGalley/Joffe Books
Police Procedural.  July 16, 2019.  Print length:  302 pages.


I've been following Evan Currie's Odyssey One series for several years now (and yes, loving this military scifi series).
Now, new technology has created the Archangel Squadron of ships to be led by Commander Stephen "Stephanos" Michaels .  Their orders are to impersonate mercenaries as they move into deep space seeking intelligence to help defeat the Empire.

I love the action, the technology, and the characters in these books.  Archangel One gives Stephanos a larger role in this parallel  series connected to the larger Odyssey series, but focusing on the mission of intelligence gathering.

Stephanos, with his willingness to take risks, is perfect for the mission.  

These books are like graphic novels in many ways.  There's a screenplay quality to this series, and the books are action, not character driven.  The characters are likable, and I appreciate the continuity from book to book with its ensemble cast.  

The books are great fun, full of suspense, and hard to put down.  

NetGalle/47 North
Military SciFi.  Sept. 1, 2019.  Print length:  272 pages.


He Will Find You is the third in this series featuring DI Harry Blaker and DS Maddie Ives.   I read the first one last year, but missed the second one.

A young boy covered in blood, terrified, and unwilling or unable to speak; a man completing tasks for some kind of online group; a young man taken in by the same promises, but who wants out, even when he is in too deep.

Gruesome and full of twists.  Not exactly my favorite kind of book, but I didn't want to abandon it either.

NetGalley/Joffe Books
Thriller/Police Procedural.  July 19, 2019.  





The Lightest Object in the Universe by Kimi Eisele will satisfy those who want a hopeful dystopian novel.

I liked some of the ideas of a community working together to salvage what they can in a world gone horribly wrong and to adjust to the changes forced upon them by the lack of electricity, a population decimated by a virulent flu, and the collapse of government.  

Beatrix, however, was annoying and almost everything connected to her part of the story was more than a little pedantic.  Much of the time, I wanted to shake her sense of righteousness.  (Obviously, if she and her activist friends had been in charge, the world would never have descended into to chaos.)


 I'm happy that there are people who stand up for their beliefs (many of which I agree with), but ugh--the smug, condescending attitude of the Beatrix before and after the collapse is irritating.  

Beatrix has good qualities, but the author's attempt to give her this activist background has such a holier-than-thou feeling.   Being committed to a cause is one thing; being smug and condescending is another.

Carson's journey on foot across the continent to find Beatrix has him meeting more good and generous people than dangerous ones.   I love the idea that people would be so generous, sharing the little they have with others, and I know that this could be the saving grace of humanity in such a situation--it might be hopeful to expect such generosity from so many.   

I don't regret reading The Lightest Object and the writing is excellent, but especially with what is going on in our society today, it may be too optimistic.

NetGalley/Algonquin Books
Dystopian.  July 9, 2019.  Print length:  329 pages.

8 comments:

  1. I still need to read Joy Ellis...something I've been saying for years now. Where does the time go? And why can't I ever get caught up with the books and authors I want to read? Sigh. It's life's biggest bookish mystery. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An impossible task to read all the books we want to, but we keep trying. :)

      Delete
  2. What an interesting variety of books! :) I'm intrigued with He Will Find You and The Lightest Object in the Universe. More books to the TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always more books to add to the TBR pile. Mine never seems to get any lower--instead it keeps growing!

      Delete
  3. I am half afraid of He will Find You and curious at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some brutal murders in this twisty tale.

      Delete
  4. You read so much and across so many genres!:D

    Military Sci Fi is a sub genre I know little about. I think the only book I have read that would qualify is maybe Starship Troopers by Heinlein and Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Do you have any other recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with this military science fiction or space opera when I read Basilisk Station by David Webber. It is the first in his Honor Harrington series, and I think I've read every book in the series! I've also enjoyed Amanda Bridgeman's Aurora series and Tammy Salyer's Spectra Arise trilogy.

      Delete