Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

A Litter of Bones and Thicker than Water by J.D. Kirk

A Litter of Bones is the first in a new series featuring DCI Jack Logan.  

When a child goes missing, Jack Logan is sent from Glasgow to the Highlands to investigate.  The circumstances are too similar to an earlier case to ignore.  The man convicted of the earlier murders is in prison, but was the wrong man sentenced or is this new case a copy cat?

While there is a familiar format and cast of characters, Kirk sets the ball in motion early and keeps the plot tight and fast-moving throughout.  An intense introduction to a new series.

Deserving of the Tartan Noir epithet because there are some dark and gruesome moments.

Police Procedural/Thriller.  2019.  Print length:  286 pages.


After finishing A Litter of Bones, I went right on to Thicker than Water.  Jack Logan has relocated from Glasgow to the Highlands and the team he worked with in the previous book.

An attempted teenage assignation by Loch Lomond is interrupted by the appearance of a mutilated body.  You can't help but be amused by the drastic change the young man involved undergoes--from hot and bothered and the kind of behavior that becomes abusive when not getting his way to...
well, sometimes karma can be so satisfying.

I'd give 3/5 stars to both of these and will read the next in the series.

Police Procedural.  June 30, 2019.  Print length:  316 pages.


-----
As October approaches, I'm ready for some Gothic, witchy, supernatural books that will make me shiver.  :)

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting series. I'm definitely curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those like, not love series. :)

      Delete
  2. I'd give these a try just for that Scotland setting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any Scotland setting will get my attention, too!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a solid start to a good series. The second book appeals to me more, but I have trouble in my old age with child-in-peril plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The child-in-peril is always a tricky premise!

      Delete
  4. Oh very cool, this is a new series and author for me. Will check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Glaslow setting is very appealing. I hope you enjoy your upcoming reads. I was thinking of something witchy or supernatural too . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Witchy and supernatural feel right in October!

      Delete