Search This Blog

Thursday, May 06, 2021

The Adventure of the Deceased Scholar by Liese Sherwood-Fabre and One Lost Soul by J M Dalgliesh

Having enjoyed the two previous books in this series about a young Sherlock Holmes, I wouldn't have wanted to miss this one.  

The Oxford-Cambridge annual boat race turn into a tragedy as a young man is found drowned.  

The Holmes family is drawn into the investigation because he is one of Mycroft's fellow students and because Mrs. Holmes is present.  Even if Mycroft and Sherlock could avoid a mystery, Mrs. Holmes certainly can't.

Mycroft is reluctantly involved because his reputation is threatened.  If the young man who drowned is designated a suicide, the Crown can take his estate and leave his family destitute.  His sister decides to blackmail Mycroft into helping prove that the death was not a suicide.

The threat of blackmail certainly gets the family's attention and even Mycroft, the reluctant investigator, knows what is at stake and does his best.  

NetGalley/Little Elm Press

Historical mystery.  May 15, 2021.  Print length:  314 pages.


I've read several books in the Dark Yorkshire series featuring DI Nathaniel Caslin by J M Dalgliesh and decided to try the Hidden Norfolk series featuring DI Tom Jansen.  

One Lost Soul is the first in the Hidden Norfolk series and introduces DI Tom Janssen, whose character is without some of the problems Nate Caslin has in Divided House, the first in the Dark Yorkshire series.  I like that the author has created a very different MC in Tom Janssen, that and the settings help keep the two series easily separated.

One Lost Soul does have that "first book in a series" feeling as the characters and setting are introduced.  It also has a much less complex investigation than those in the Dark Yorkshire series.  

Briefly, a young girl has been found murdered and there appears to be an attempt to cast blame on one suspect, but there are several other possibilities.  DI Tom Janssen, DCI Tamara work together with the youngest member of the team to determine who is responsible.  I will probably read the next one to see if I'll continue with the series, and I know I will get back to Nate Caslin in the Dark Yorkshire series, now that I've been reminded.  :0

Kindle Unlimited

Police Procedural.  2019.  Print length:  294 pages.

------------

Garden:  I took some garden pics early this morning.  My thanks were 3 mosquito bites along my cheek bone from ear almost to my eye.  Huh?  That had to have happened when I was putting one of those mosquito donuts in a puddle  where the water hadn't drained from the storm the other day.  I didn't even realize those nasty little buggers had found their target until the itching started. 

And so it begins:  the annual war between human and mosquito.  It is a no-win situation, just damage to both sides.

Need to refill the birdbath

 

The February snow was so unusual that it never occurred to me that throwing bird seed on the snow would be a problem.  I've been pulling sunflowers ever since.  Some I've left, obviously--because it is so fascinating to see how quickly they grow!  


The Homestead Purple Verbena didn't do much last year, but this year it is trying to take over.  

Edgrrr prowls/patrols his patch 

Now to finish enjoying my coffee and Fee's blueberry bread.  Yum.



18 comments:

  1. I'm always up for anything related to Sherlock Holmes, so this series sounds awesome. It's on my wishlist. And your garden is looking great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I've enjoyed these books and look forward to the next one. Do start with the first one that introduces thirteen-year-old Sherlock and his family. The Adventure of the Murdered Gypsy.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love your birdbath! Very unique and attractive. Yes, the battle of the mosquito is never-ending, is it? My husband got a bunch of bites on the top of both hands while we were camping. I'm not sure where it happened since I'm usually the one with a bulls-eye on my exposed skin. Your flowers are looking so pretty and I love the yellow plant (tickseed?) and Fee's blueberry bread looks delicious. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike mosquitoes intensely, but like you, I seem to be a favorite meal for them. Yes, that is tickseed, and I should have divided it and put it in the ground. In fact, initially it was in the ground, and I potted up a small division. Time to divide it again. :)

      Delete
  3. Mosquitoes are the worst! But your garden is so lovely. And that Sherlock Holmes series does sound like a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I think of Sei Shonagon's Pillow Book list of "Hateful Things" and mosquitoes on it. The lists she made a thousand years ago are still so pertinent. :)

      Delete
  4. I love all of the color in your garden! And, that blueberry bread - yum! We did throw wildflower seed in our garden and are really enjoying what pops up! And, definitely taking note of the Dalglish book as I love British police procedurals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have thrown wild flower seeds! Next winter, snow or not, I will. I always throw the cosmos seeds from the previous year--they need no help at all and are so delicate and colorful, but I'd love a variety of wildflowers, too. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful garden, Jen, but I can imagine the frustration of being attacked by mosquitos already. We haven't seen a sign of them here yet despite all the rain we've gotten in the last few weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they hold off for a while longer.

    I'm kicking myself that I still haven't tried that young Sherlock Holmes series. I really do like seeing that character portrayed at different stages of his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain! This has been the rainiest May so far that I can remember. Hope some of it will hold off and deliver itself later in the summer when it is needed.

      Delete
  6. That Sherlock Holmes series sound like a good read. I'll have to check them out. And your garden looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun series, Melody. Light and YA. I never thought of Sherlock as a kid. :)

      Delete
  7. One Lost Souk sounds like it has potential; hopefully it is a better second book in the series. I don’t mind books that are very obviously first books, as long as the stories and authors mature in the next ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminded me to return to the Dark Yorkshire series, so now I'm catching up on that one. :)

      Delete
  8. The garden is looking good. We have so many sunflowers trying to grow around the feeders that I need to rake out the whole area. And the blueberry bread looks tasty. Did you all pick the blueberries, or is it a bit early for them what with our chilly spring? I made cranberry orange bread last weekend after finding frozen cranberries in a refrigerator we had to clean out. The cranberries had been frozen at Thanksgiving and it was time to use them. The bread is delicious, even if spring isn't exactly cranberry season. I'm not familiar with the young Sherlock Holmes series. Might be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunflowers are amazingly determined to grow! I've left many, but have pulled hundreds of seedlings. I love things that are stubbornly committed to surviving--which is why I have such a problem with mints, yarrow, and obedient plant, all of which want to take over. Another favorite bread is orange/cranberry--delicious! I prefer quick breads to cakes, the texture as well as the flavors.

    ReplyDelete