Search This Blog

Sunday, November 07, 2021

Between Family, Sherlock Holmes and the Three Winter Terrors, and The Beast in View

 

Last year, Ashley reminded me of the Between series that I'd started a couple of years ago but missed the next books as they were published.  I didn't even realize I'd read the first book until I started reading it!  (Do you ever do that?  Forget the title and then read the first paragraph and realize you've read the book?)  

Anyway, thanks to Ashley, I re-read the first book (and enjoyed it again) and zoomed through until I was caught up to book 7.  Waited for book 8.  Then waited for book 9!  

The Between books are ridiculous and fun!  I like urban fantasy and love the characters and the absurdity of the Between books--each one is outlandish, suspenseful, comical, and addictive to those who love urban fantasy.  

Between Family (#9) continues the suspense and the Heirling Trials begin.  Morgana is forced into a decision that ultimately, I don't think she regrets as it is a matter of survival, not only for her, but for her friends. Pet's "emotional support" Korean vampire is still locked out of the house.  The house is, of course, sentient.  Is Pet an heirling or not?  And there is Athelas.  

I was thinking throughout that this was the final book and was preparing myself for the conclusion--but no, there is one more!  While I hate for the series to conclude because it has been so much fun, I can't wait for #10.

If you are interested in this series, start with the first book.  Between Jobs will set you on the journey, introduce the main characters and the mystery, and make you laugh and wonder.  

Read in Oct.  Kindle Unlimited.  Paranormal/Urban Fantasy.  Print length:  213 pages.


The Three Winter Terrors are three entertaining linked stories.  

From Description:
1889. The First Terror.
At a boys’ prep school in the Kent marshes, a pupil is found drowned in a pond. Could this be the fulfillment of a witch’s curse from four hundred years earlier?

1890. The Second Terror.
A wealthy man dies of a heart attack at his London townhouse. Was he really frightened to death by ghosts?

1894. The Third Terror.
A body is discovered at a Surrey country manor, hideously ravaged. Is the culprit a cannibal, as the evidence suggests?

I rarely miss a Sherlock Holmes pastiche and enjoyed this one.

Read in Oct.  

NetGalley/Titan Books.  Sherlock Holmes.  Oct. 12, 2021.  Print length: 320 pages


Helen Clarvoe, a thirty-year-old woman, lives in a second-rate hotel despite having inherited her father's money and investments.  Estranged from her mother and brother, Helen has few acquaintances and lives a quiet reclusive life. When she receives a phone call that claims to predict her unpleasant future, she is unnerved and frightened.

She contacts Paul Blackshear, her father's investment counselor for help.  Although he agrees to help despite his reluctance, Blackshear becomes quite involved in his investigation as the situation becomes curiouser.  

Beast in View, published in 1955, has the feel of the time period in setting and characters.  It won the Edgar for best mystery of the year in 1956, beating out The Talented Mr. Ripley, and is also named one of the Top One Hundred Mystery Novels of All Time by the Mystery Writers of America.  

The writing feels dated to the 1950's in culture and style.  A suspenseful, psychological novel, Beast in View connects to something I would mention, but it would definitely give the plot away.  

Margaret Millar's husband Kenneth Millar wrote under the pseudonym Ross MacDonald, and the couple are considered among the best of their generation's mystery writers.

I can't say I loved Beast in View as the style and setting are not my favorites, but the psychological aspect is impressive, especially for the 1950's.   Millar kept the twist away for most of the book.  I may look for another of Millar's books to see if they grow on me, this has certainly happened before.  

Soho Syndicate
Psychological Suspense.  1955, 2015.  Print length:  186 pages.

22 comments:

  1. The Sherlock Holmes has my attention as does Beast in View.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say that I've read any Sherlock Holmes books (well, other than the first in a Laurie King series - The Beekeeper's Apprentice), but this one sounds like it'd be a fun read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I enjoyed the original stories when I was young, I've always enjoyed the modern takes on Holmes and Watson!

      Delete
  3. Interesting that Beast in View beat out The Talented Mr. Ripley that year. I've never read any of Margaret Millar's books. But the Sherlock Holmes one sounds like more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that Beast in View would beat The Talented Mr. Ripley today, but it was intriguing!

      Delete
  4. The Sherlock Holmes inspired sounds like a lot of fun but the Margaret Millar is the one that I'm most interested in. I think I have one of her books on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really like to know if anyone who read The Beast in View noticed the connection I did. It was certainly an interesting psychological novel and very much of its time in style.

      Delete
  5. I wish I got to the Sherlock Holmes book before it was archived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always so disappointed when a book comes to my intention, only to discover I missed it because it has been archived. I wasn't familiar with the author, but he has other Holmes and Watson books, too. May try another. :)

      Delete
  6. Beast in View is definitely one I want to read because of my curiosity about books published just before I was born and for the first few years afterward. I always hope they offer a window back in time that tells me something about the years I "missed." Sadly, it's getting harder and harder to find anything from those years in libraries other than the usual suspects that everyone has read by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one wouldn't give a general view of that period. It is specifically California and a noir style mystery, but it does have some interesting cultural aspects. Millar was evidently one of the bright lights, getting more critical acclaim than her husband's Lew Archer series, and yet, I'd never heard of her.

      Delete
  7. The Sherlock Holmes title sounds like a fun read. I don't have the right sort of brain to read Sherlock Holmes, unfortunately, but I know plenty of people who delight in stories about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Three Winter Terrors was interesting, and I like the way the stories connected over a period of time. Holmes is so iconic, but I enjoy the more modern interpretations would are so wide-ranging. :)

      Delete
  8. The Three Winter Terrors and Beast in View sound good to me! Adding them onto my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a chance to read them. Both have that vintage/classic feel to them.

      Delete
  9. I have not heard of the Millars or Beast of View ... so I'm wondering how they beat out Patricia Highsmith?! Is the book really that good ... or not really? The twist has me a bit curious ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm often, even with book awards today, curious about what persuades judges to choose one over another. Highsmith is still read. Millar's books were out of print for a long time.

      Delete
  10. I am going to get a copy of Between Jobs, the series sounds fun. You mention it will make me laugh and wonder and that has me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoy Urban Fantasy, I suspect you will enjoy this one!

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed Between Family. I love how weird and ridiculous and just plain fun the whole series is.

    And that Sherlock Holmes book sounds really good. I have a hard time passing up any Sherlock-inspired stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait for the next one and wondering what Gingell will come up with next. I like her fairy-tale retellings, too. :)

      Holmes has a hold on our imaginations, too.

      Delete