Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Three DI Zoe Finch books by Rachel McLean and Touch & Go by Lisa Gardner

Assistant Chief Constable Bryn Jackson is murdered shortly after returning home on the  night of his retirement. Recently promoted  DI Zoe Finch, fresh off a case involving corruption, fraud, and abuse against children, finds herself on the scene.  

Is Jackson's wife Margaret responsible?  Even with what little is revealed early on, it seems Margaret might have motive.  Zoe is surprised and confused by the way her DCI is handling the case and relegating Zoe to more tedious tasks.  Is he protecting Margaret?  And what changes his mind?

Deadly Wishes is the first in McLean's Zoe Finch series, and I liked it even better than McLean's Dorset Crime series.  Zoe's commitment and perseverance made this police procedural an enjoyable experience.  Zoe's team helps add to the interest:  DS Mo Uddin, DC Connie Williams, and DC Rhodri Hughes.

If the murder of an ACC who spent his life on the force isn't bad enough, Zoe senses a sinister underside to the murder and is determined to dig until all the pieces fit.

Kindle Unlimited
Police Procedural.  2020.  Print length:  402 pages.

Allison Osman takes her children to Cadbury World in a planned excursion her husband Ian was supposed to join.  Ian doesn't show.  Allison  leaves twelve-year-old Maddy to watch her little brother while she stands in line to get their food.

A matter of minutes and both children are gone.  

Another good police procedural with interesting characterization and plenty of suspense.  DI Zoe Finch and her team have to examine several unsavory possibilities in their attempt to determine who and why the children have been abducted.

Kindle Unlimited.
Police Procedural.  2020.  Print length:  400 pages.  


Someone has been making horrific assaults on gay men, creating anger and fear in the gay community.  Amid the pressure to solve the case, Zoe also fears for her eighteen-year-old son who doesn't seem to think he is danger.

There is a connection to police corruption that has been running through from the first book in this series, but as in the previous book, there is a plot that is resolved.  While I'd recommend beginning with the first book, each book can be read as a standalone.  

Two things I like about this series:  the characters on Zoe's team and the fast-paced plots!

Kindle Unlimited
Police Procedural.  2020.  Print length:  430 pages.

(I'm not sure whether all these books were released at once, but each one has a 2020 publication date.)


Lisa Gardner has rarely failed to keep my interest, and certainly the abduction of the Denbe family was a compelling example.  

In 2014, I read and loved Crash & Burn as an ARC.  It started me looking for any Lisa  Gardner book available from NetGalley or the library, regardless of publication date or series.

Anyway, I listened to Touch & Go the second book as an audio book, and was quickly immersed in the story. A common approach in many of Gardner's books is to give the victim as much or more time than the lead detective.  The secondary characters often turn up again in different books.  

Tessa Leoni, former state trooper, current investigator for a security firm, is called in by the Denbe Construction company.  D.D. Warren makes a cameo appearance in her role with the Boston Police Department, but the FBI takes over and Tessa must work with them.  In this case, the story moves back and forth between Tessa and Libby Denbe.  

Libby's voice describes the abduction and the imprisonment of the family.  Justin, Libby, and their fifteen-year-old daughter Ashlyn are stashed in a newly built but unoccupied prison facility in the wilds of New Hampshire.  Through Libby we learn of the mechanics of the family's abduction and the circumstances of their imprisonment.  We also learn a lot of the dynamics of the "perfect" family.  

In the investigation, Tessa interviews employees of the construction company, piecing together an outside version of the Denbes.  Detective Sergeant Wyatt Foster is also involved in the investigation and provides a nice balance to Tessa.  Getting the gradual information about the company, Justin, Libby, and Ashlyn was intriguing.  

Suspense and secrets.  Twists and turns.  When you think it is over.  It isn't.

There is a backstory to Tessa, that D.D. Warren first alludes to, but which relates to the reason that Tessa is no longer a state trooper.  This was a little frustrating, as I had not read that book.

The narration was OK, but Elizabeth Rodgers' attempts to distinguish different characters was not always successful and her occasional attempts at Boston and New Hampshire accents were often annoying.  I'm not sure any single narrator could have done a good job on so many characters, but that was a distraction.  

 It took a little while to find the first Tessa Leoni book because the first book that includes Tessa Leoni is actually the 5th book in the D.D. Warren series--Love You More.  I  couldn't wait and started it last night.

I recommend reading these three books in order. One of those "do as I say, not as I do" situations.

Love You More  (2011)
Touch and Go  (2013)
Crash and Burn  (2015)



18 comments:

  1. Thank you
    Reading list is always looking better after reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a little trouble keeping track of the order of books in Lisa Gardner's series too. I know I've read Touch and Go and think I read the first Tessa book. Maybe I ought to start at the beginning of her works and read all in order of publication. There's a lot of them though. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you use Fantastic Fiction, Kay? I rely on that A LOT!

      Delete
    2. Gardner is prolific, and I really enjoy her books!

      Delete
  3. Love the book blurbs and that cartoon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make me laugh, too. Recognition factor!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I do love that cartoon and the book blurbs are priceless. The McLean series interests me. I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craning the neck to see what someone else is reading is reading is a familiar behavior!

      Delete
  5. Love the book blurbs glossary of terms...the definitions for heart-rending and epic totally made me laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blurbs and picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are funny, aren't they? They make me smile!

      Delete
  7. That cartoon reminds me of me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Even in paintings, we want to see what they are reading!

      Delete
  8. I have Kindle Unlimited too, so I'll have to check out the Rachel McLean series. Love that cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindle Unlimited has helped me try new authors for free. If I don't like the book, I can return it and try something else. I've discovered and binged on quite a few authors this way. :)

      Delete
  9. The Rachel McLean series sound good to me. And I just have to laugh at that cartoon. You always find the good ones, Jenclair! As always, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete