Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2022

Love You More by Lisa Gardner, One Bad Turn David J. Gatward

Love You More (D.D. Warren #5, Tessa Leoni #1).  State Trooper Tessa Leoni claims she shot her husband in self-defense.  She has been seriously beaten and no one questions her injuries, but D.D. Warren doesn't quite believe Tessa, something is off--and Tessa's six-year-old daughter is missing.  

Tessa is hospitalized for her injuries, then arrested for the murder of her husband.  Six-year-old Sophie is still missing, and D.D. and Bobby Dodge believe they are looking for her body, the kind of thing that disturbs even veteran cops.

Like in the Flora Dane books, D.D. plays a big role in the procedural portions of the book, but the alternating chapters in Tessa's voice propel the plot.  

Gardner ratchets up the tension and slowly reveals all the complications involved in this engrossing thriller.

Suspense/Thriller.  2011.  Print length:  368 pages.

I've caught up on the Grimm Up North series, which I really enjoy.  The characters and the setting work well together, and it is obvious how much the author himself loves the Yorkshire Dales.  

There are some chilling scenes as the body of a young woman is discovered and the terrible and unanticipated aftermath of the discovery.

This has become a favorite series, and I'm so glad stumbled on the first book and already looking forward to the next.

Kindle Unlimited.
Police Procedural.  March 3, 2022.  Print length:  343 pages.




Currently reading Churchill's Band of Brothers.  Excellent so far.






Something I've never thought of before,
 but the last two comments make it clear.  :)

 

20 comments:

  1. Ha! Loved the contraction conversation. Cannot think of one to share here. After reading your thoughts on Love You More, I'm certain that I've read that book. I couldn't remember the other day. Anyway, one day I'm going to check and see which of Lisa Gardner's books I've read and which I need to read so I can catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use contractions correctly without even knowing it. :)

      I like the way Gardner lets a secondary character take the lead in her books. She is so prolific it's hard to keep up with all of her books.

      Delete
  2. Contractions...Confusion is not unfamiliar to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about contractions long enough to get confused! Now I'm going to be trying to end sentences with contractions. Harder than I thought, it's.

      Delete
  3. That contractions one is great--totally made me laugh! And I love that reading quote. It'd be good with one of my bookish art posts. :) And both of those books sound really good. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hardwick quote covers the benefits of reading perfectly, doesn't it? And I love the illustration with the fox slumped over the pages, totally engrossed. :)

      Delete
  4. Love that Hardwick quote and I really do need to check out those Gatward books. They do sound like great reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When your recognize all the reasons you read in a quote, you know Hardwick is a kindred spirit. :) I've really enjoyed the Gatward books; they read fast and distract me from things I can't control.

      Delete
  5. Love that bookish quote - so true. I also think I may have read that Lisa Gardner book some years ago; it sounds so familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to reread Crash & Burn, because other than remembering that I liked it, I don't remember much. Interesting how many books we can't remember much about, even when we really enjoyed them!

      Delete
  6. Love that quote. I agree, a passion for reading is the greatest gift. And that contractions one is so good! It definitely made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Hardwick's quote and the contractions meme made me laugh, too. :)

      Delete
  7. I've read every book by Lisa Gardner and enjoyed them all, some out of order but then I'd backtrack. I liked your linguist quote too. I never heard of Gatward but I like to discover new to me authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardner has a way of pulling you into both her plots and her characters. I haven't read nearly all of her books, but I've found the ones I've read compelling!

      Delete
  8. I'd love to read this thriller set in the Yorkshire Dales. The settings of books are so important to many readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book in the series hooked me, and I've liked every one of the following books. Great cast of characters, wonderful setting, exciting plots!

      Delete
  9. I hear such wonderful things about Lisa Gardner books. This one sounds especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that bookish quote! So true! And that contraction conversation just made me laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting mixed reads. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Elizabeth Hardwick quote!! So true.

    ReplyDelete