Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Fixit by Joe Ide

 

Those who follow Joe Ide's IQ series will look forward to Fixit, but the book does have an end-of-the-road vibe.  

Isaiah Quintabe is suffering from PTSD after several particularly dangerous, violent cases. The fact that his girlfriend Grace has broken up with him doesn't help his ability to heal and recover. 

 Isaiah, known as "IQ" for both his initials and his intelligence, was initially the neighborhood fixer.  Lost cat, someone threatening your mother, problems with a loan shark?  Call IQ.  Yes, he'll take live chickens or a good meal in payment if necessary.  There are, however, also cases that have proven more difficult, dangerous, and violent.

IQ has made enemies along the way, one of which has taken out a $25,000 bounty on Isaiah and the other has kidnapped his estranged girlfriend Grace.  At his lowest point, IQ is dealing with more problems than he can manage.

The first section of the book concentrates on Grace, as she does her best after being kidnapped by Skip Hanson (hitman, lunatic, and a man who loathes IQ) who is determined on revenge.  Interfering at the same time is Manzo, former gang leader who blames IQ for his humiliation.  

An important and interesting element is how Joe Ide can list all of the awful things these villains do--and still create some sympathy for them.

Back to the neighborhood--this is where I think much of the success of the series lies.  Deronda, Juanell Dodson, Cherise, TK, and others lighten the atmosphere and contribute to the community feel of the run down, crime ridden neighborhood.  

What saved Fixit for me?  The diversity of characters, the neighborhood community, and Juanell Dodson.  Not IQ, this time.  I have to wonder if this was the author's intent.  Dodson has grown into his role at the same time IQ seems to have grown out of his.   

Is this the last of the series?  I don't know, but while Fixit was not as good as the first novels, I enjoyed reuniting with the characters that have given a such a strong backdrop to IQ's various adventures.

Thanks to NetGalley and Mulholland Books.

Publication date:  May 9, 2024.



10 comments:

  1. Love that cartoon - because it happened to me just last week when I forgot to check the charge on my Kindle before heading out to a long waiting-room sit. And of course, it went dead write in the middle of the book's climax, only four or five pages from the end.

    This series sounds interesting. It's another I've heard a few people mention, but I've never managed to squeeze in one of the books. It constantly amazes me how many good series are being written these days, and how each of them gather their own hardcore fans. Sort of like all the streaming and binge-watching that movies and television shows have evolved into now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes, I can imagine your frustration, Sam. Forgetting to charge a Kindle and then finding yourself in a waiting room during the book's climax--utterly frustrating!
      You're right, series fandom is much like binge-watching.

      Delete
  2. The diverse characters and neighborhood community do sound like a lot of fun. I've never read any of Joe Ide's books, but I think I might have to check one out sometime. (And I think my comment on your last post about nonfiction books fell into the spam folder. It seems to happen to me a lot these days. I'm trying not to take it personally. ;D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few books were the best in my opinion. I really enjoyed the off beat characters. I just looked and found your comment in the "awaiting moderation" section, but I had not received any notification about it, so thanks for letting me know, Lark!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed the first few books, but for some unknown reason, I stopped reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too. While I continue to appreciate the characters, the plot was a bit of a mess. Wondering if Joe Ide got a little tired of IQ, but he could still develop Dodson as a MC. :)

      Delete
    2. It really wouldn't surprise me if Ide got tired of his creation, but his publisher insists on more. I know that Peter Abraham (Spencer Quinn) is tired of his Chet & Bernie books, but they're so popular that his publisher demands more. I think that's why I'm more laissez-faire with the authors I enjoy. I want them to continue being happy with what they write because it will mean I get to keep reading their books, wherever they may take me.

      Delete
    3. I can understand the publishers wanting more of a popular series. When one of my favorite series ends, it makes me sad, but I don't want an author forced to write what he's tired of when he could begin something new. Over the years, I've lost interest in some series, but some just keep getting better.

      Delete
  4. I have the first two books, but haven't read either one. Someday I will get to the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them when you get to them. I have so many books that are "someday" books. I added 2 more to my list this morning!

      Delete