Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Little Batty


I've just adopted a little fellow. His name is Bert. He may not be the handsomest of bats, but he's pretty marvelous.
...................
Here is a bit of his story: "Bert is a lion-hearted little brown bat who survived all odds.
He was found in the sub-zero snowdrifts of Glacier National Park in Alaska, barely clinging to life. The wings that once carried him so well, the ears that once twitched as they echolocated and the tail pouch that held his nightly catch, were all now consumed by the insidious effects of frostbite
." You can read more of Bert's story here.
..................
Bat World has other bats for adoption and each one has a story. There's "Mr. Kitty" who was rescued by a cat, Van Gogh (guess why), and Cleobatra among others. I think it is entirely appropriate that Bert came into my life on Halloween, don't you?
.....................
Thanks to One Crabapple for posting the information about the Bat World Sanctuary in Mineral Wells, Texas. She adopted "Sticky" who had to be disentangled from the fly paper that encased his little body.
.....................
Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

  1. Well, his frostbite problems make him less physically attractive, but I think his personality shines right through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he's so cute! How special he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite my love of all things creepy I think I'd have to draw the line at bat adoption! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Carl, I don't really have to take care of him myself. They send a photograph, but keep the bats at the sanctuary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolina, he is cute, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carl - I know! Because in addition to getting only the photo, certificate, and story, etc., I had all of it sent to my granddaughter. So...officially, Bert isn't even mine!

    ReplyDelete