Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

In the Mail

The Pub Across the Pond by Mary Carter.  From a Bookish Librarian--Thanks, Deborah!  A disillusioned young woman buys a raffle ticket to own a pub in Ireland...and wins.  Sounds like fun!

ARCs:

If You Ever Need Me, I Won't Be Far Away by Bruce Farrell Rosen; a memoir of award-winning writer Bruce Farrell Rosen--some very positive reviews.

A Place of Secrets by Rachel Hore; will be released for sale Jan. 31; a mystery-- an appraiser of books for an auction house, an old estate in Norfolk with a wonderful library and some very valuable books on astronomy to be evaluated.  Yes, I like all of the elements!

Bring Me One of Everything by Leslie Hall Pindar

(I've begun this one--I've already flagged a couple of pages for quotes!  Love her writing.)  Canadians might be especially interested in this one.  "The title of the book is based on what the management of the Smithsonian is said to have demanded when sending ethnographers to native villages to gather artifacts for its collection: "Bring me one of everything."

Mr. Langshaw's Square Piano:  The Story of the First Pianos and How They Caused a Cultural Revolution by Madeline Goold;  nonfiction; "A handwritten note inside a neglected Broadwood square piano built in 1807 leads Madeline Goold on a quest to uncover the remarkable history of these now almost forgotten musical instruments."

I've also ordered a few used books from Amazon that have been on my wish list for a while.  Oh, and there are still library books that I haven't gotten through.

What books are in your TBR pile?

4 comments:

  1. Went to the Pub's Amazon site, it does look like a jolly read! It will be a change from what I'm about to finish... Before I Go To Sleep... creepy but a real page turner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pub Across the Pond sounds like loads of fun and I love the sound of that memoir. Looks like it's a bit of a chunkster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, bring me one of everything... I worked for an athropological museum for a while (I'm actually a cultural anthropologist) , so I'm well aware of this. Some ethnographers/collectors didn't refrain from plundering.
    I'm very interested in the book. Is it a novel or non-fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne - I've read reviews of Before I Go to Sleep--it does sound creepy. Makes me nervous to even thing about it, but I bet it is a page turner!

    Bookfool - :) The memoir is a chunkster! Don't know when I'll get around to reading it as I've been in a slump lately, but it sounds good.

    Caroline - Bring Me One of Everything is fiction, but the writing has really pulled me in. Was the cutting down and moving the totems for preservation or as the book says, "a massacre"?

    Hall did a lot of legal work for the native people of B.C. and also a great deal of research, so I think the book is one of those fictional educations.

    ReplyDelete