Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wicked Autumn by G. M. Malliet

Wicked Autumn  is a cozy mystery featuring Max Tudor, a former MI5 agent turned Anglican priest.  Sound intriguing?  I wish I'd found it so, but I didn't even find it very interesting.

Few of the characters come to life.  There are quite a few characters as almost everyone in the village has had some kind of conflict with the bossy, manipulative Wanda Batton-Smythe, who is so annoying that it is hard to work up any sympathy concerning her demise.  If you don't care about the victim, then it is even more important to care about the other characters, but I couldn't drum up much enthusiasm for any of them either.

_____________
Next to last review of 2011 books!  Almost done!

Fiction.  Mystery/Cozy.  2011.  320 pages.

5 comments:

  1. I just decided to not even bother with my 2011 leftover reviews, so I applaud you for being so diligent!

    On another note, before 2012 is out we should read a book together again. Interested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I did sound intriguing. Too bad it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowl I read it and loved it! The only character that I thought was poorly drawn was Wanda, but I loved everyone else. I also thought Maillet did a fine job of creating a sense of place. I will be looking forward to more books in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm disappointed for you. I have a copy on my shelf to read at some point. We'll see how it goes. I have enjoyed another book by this author - different series. The name escapes me right now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kailana - There are a few books that I didn't review throughout the year, but very few. I don't know why I feel compelled to review, except that sometimes I like to see if I've read anything else by that author and whether or not I enjoyed it.

    Caroline - Of course, my opinion is just that, my opinion, and as I read Elizabeth's comment on this post, I'm reminded again of how personal a book is. Elizabeth loved the book.

    Elizabeth - Further proof of how intensely singular and idiosyncratic the reading experience is. It is always obvious when opinions differ, but the truth is that no two people ever read the "same" book even if they both like (or dislike) it.

    I find this fascinating--that a book is full of such infinite possibilities!

    Since Kay has a copy of the book (she mentions this in the comment below yours), it will be interesting to see what she thinks. We have agreed and disagreed about books before. :)

    Kay - I hope you enjoy it more than I did. I know the author has another series, maybe I should look into it as a comparison since you've enjoyed one of her other books.

    ReplyDelete