Search This Blog

Friday, May 01, 2015

Friday Musings

Still working on cleaning up my studio and planning activities for the grands.  Finished two Lovies that are not exactly what I want, and I'll have to make new patterns, but the ideas are there for possible success.


------
 Reading:  I've had some success with a few books lately, but haven't reviewed them yet. 


Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton is the best thing she has written so far.  Great psychological novel with wonderful descriptions of the Falkland Islands.  Very different from the Gothic horror and the Lacy Flint series, Bolton takes an entirely new tact with this one.









Uprooted by Naomie Novik.  I enjoyed the first book in the Temeraire series and read a few more before losing interest.  This new fantasy was a rare pleasure.






------------

The last couple of days have been perfect for working in the garden--but the pollen is so bad that my eyes water and itch and swell.  Then my entire face itches.  This problem is worse than in previous years, and I'm not sure what I'm allergic to, but it happens within minutes of being outside.  Took a Claritin this morning, so hope to get some weeding done today.

12 comments:

  1. This is indeed allergy season now. I've had a cold but I know it started with allergies. Hope you are able to get outside and work with your plants. Looking forward to seeing pictures of all the garden spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Claritin seems to be helping! My face has stopped itching and even my eyes are better--Yay! It is a beautiful day and the birds are in full chorus!

      Delete
  2. I'm having trouble with seasonal allergies too, can't take anything because they dry my eyes out so badly. So I've been indoors a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allergies are so annoying and have so many different effects. This year has been a trial, keeping me in a lot, too!

      Delete
  3. I hope you feel better, Jenclair. I can imagine how irritating pollen allergies can be.

    Oh, I want to read that new book by Sharon Bolton! Her books are a must-buy to me. I need to order it soon. Hope you've a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed her books previously, but this one is by far my favorite! My e-book was free from NetGalley; you might see if it is still on offer!

      Delete
  4. Claritin and antihistamine eyedrops, that's how I get through my days from snow melt to the first hard frost. My allergies have gotten worse over the years too so I am in complete sympathy with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I use antihistimine eye drops and lubricating eye drops. If the itching doesn't get me, somehow the pollen allergies or the antihistamines make me sleepy. It's a dilemma!

      Delete
  5. I still haven't read any Novik but she's on my list and I will read her soon.
    Sorry about your hayfever - it's pretty awful really, especially if you enjoy gardening. I only suffer a very mild reaction - to tree pollen, so I'm a fairly early does sufferer with the cherry blossoms, etc, but it doesn't last long. My husband is grass pollen and he has it bad! Plus it lasts all summer. He uses the one a day Piriton but to be honest nothing really holds it back.
    You'll just have to do more reading and less gardening!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the first in the Temeraire series by Novik, but I liked Uprooted even better! I agree--more reading less gardening seems to be the answer right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a copy of Black Little Lies I am eager to read. :-) I am glad you liked Uprooted. It sounds so good!

    Love your bunny and dog!

    I hope you are feeling better, Jenclair. Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like Little Black Lies (which, btw, is the title of another book I read a few months ago). I haven't read as many books for the Once Upon a Time challenge this year as I usually do, but Uprooted fit the bill perfectly!

      Delete