Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2016

The Last One by Alexandra Oliva

The Last One by Alexandra Oliva is a cross between a reality survivor show and a genuine catastrophe, a pandemic of which the contestants and even the crew in their isolation are unaware.  The illness is widespread and rapid, and people die so quickly that there is little apprehension or appreciation of the danger until the population is decimated.

Twelve contestants, who have been given short epithets connected to their careers (Doctor, Tracker, Waitress, Engineer, Zoo), have been chosen to participate in a reality show that will challenge them mentally and physically.  They are all secluded in a wilderness area and unaware of what is going on in the outside world.

The story alternates between the chapters about the challenges the contestants face and the POV of Zoo, a young woman who wants a last big challenge before she and her husband settle down to start a family.

There is unnecessary confusion about who the contestants are.  Zoo will refer to them sometimes by the reality show moniker and sometimes by their real names.  Eventually, some of the characters become clearer, but this uncertainty prevents a real connection to most of the contestants.

 Everything from the reasons the contestants have been chosen, the names assigned to them, the way the film is edited to present a particular point of view and "good television"(regardless of the context).  Incidents are scripted, staged, and amended.  In the meantime, Oliva does the same to her readers, keeping them off-balance.

Eventually, Zoo continues alone in what she believes is a solo challenge.  The stress of the various challenges, an illness she believes the result of polluted water, lack of food, and lack of rest have diminished her ability to reason well, but she refuses to say the words the producers gave the contestants that would signal her desire to quit.  She is determined to finish, and she keeps walking, using every skill at her disposal.  Any question she may have about the changes she sees, she attributes to the show's script, to props, to the theatrical exploitation of both contestants and audience.

An absorbing glimpse at the way we are manipulated by media (more obviously by reality shows--but only slightly more subtly by press, propaganda, and politics).  

A couple of things did bother me, but they would be spoilers, so I'll ignore them for this review.  

Review scheduled for June 27, 2016.

NetGalley/Random House/Ballentine

Suspense/Post-Apocalyptic.  July 12, 2016.  Print length:  304 pages.

12 comments:

  1. I read this also from NG but haven't put up a formal review yet. I actually enjoyed it, maybe because I thought it was a cross between Survivor and The Walking Dead or The Road, and it was a fun concept! My son has me watch Survivor with him sometimes, so I saw an obvious connection between the book's reality show and that one.

    Despite several head-scratching moments and an awkward ending, I think I will pick up the next installment, if I have access to it. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it as well, although I had a lot of quibbles. It was a neat premise, but I hope some editing has been done from the version I read in March. And yes, the awkward ending--I didn't mention that, but it bothered me!

      Delete
  2. I like the premise, although I think it'd bug me having to figure out & remember who all the characters are with all their different monikers. And I don't always love alternating POVs, but I think I still have to give this one a try. I'm curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The confusion over characters was annoying, and there was enough suspense without being unsure about who was who. Some NetGalley books are in earlier stages of the editing process than others. The author wants to keep the reader a little off-balance, but the characters need clarification earlier.

      Delete
  3. I just saw mention of this one another blog (the person hasn't read it yet), but I'm curious about it. It sounds like it had its good points and bad. I know everyone would like to think we aren't susceptible to media influence, but we really are. I think this could be an interesting look at how that works under certain circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange that people can know that situations on reality shows are being manipulated and still be influenced, and even more frightening to see how effective it is in politics. :) I read and scheduled this review in March and had forgotten about it!

      Delete
  4. My curiosity was piqued the first time I saw this book around and I'm glad to read your review. Reality shows are often a hit-or-miss to me; while I enjoy them I don't take them too seriously and view them more of an entertaining program than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting to see in the book how each situation and visual was set up to give the intention the producers wanted. The conclusions were largely decided in advance and the editing reflected only what the producers wanted. I don't watch reality shows, but I can certainly make the connection to political ads and other propaganda!

      Delete
  5. This does sound like an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has flaws, but still an interesting book!

      Delete
  6. I have to say I am intrigued by this one even if it does sound a bit clunky. The name switching I think would get a bit on my nerves but still the premise is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concept of having the plague wiping out so much of the population and this isolated group of contestants having no idea is clever, isn't it?

      Delete