Search This Blog

Monday, April 03, 2017

Missing by Kelley Armstrong

For some reason, I have enjoyed Armstrong's YA books more than some of the adult books she writes.  Her YA trilogies have been such suspenseful, paranormal fun.  

Missing, a stand-alone, proved to be just as suspenseful.

Winter Crane can't wait to leave the small town of Reeve's End--her goal is to escape like her sister did.  Winter tutors other kids and works at the local clinic, saving her money in hopes of eventually going to college.  Even with her hopes of a scholarship, Winter knows that she will need ample savings to carry out her dreams. There will be no help from her alcoholic father.  

Winter has taken over a shack in the woods where she can do her homework in a peaceful environment.

On her way to her cabin, she notices that one of her boundary threads is slack and assumes that a deer has pushed against it.  Later, Winter discovers a sneaker and a bloody hand print on a tree.  Following the trail, she finds a stranger unconscious in a tree with a pack of feral dogs in a frenzy at the base.  

By rescuing Lennon, the injured young man, Winter becomes caught up in a situation that proves more and more dangerous.  There is a threat in the woods from an unknown source, and Lennon is evasive about his situation.

Two days later, Lennon disappears leaving a short note.  Strange and menacing events continue to occur in the woods, and Winter begins to wonder about all of the young people who have left Reeve's End.  How many of them have truly gone on to other places and better lives?  Her own sister has never contacted Winter. 

Then Lennon's brother Jude shows up looking for him....

Is it realistic?  No.  It is funny how easily Kelley Armstrong can catch the reader up in her stories.  She has a talent for suspense, action, and character development that works a charm.  Not the kind of character development found in many novels; there is a stereotypical aspect--and yet I become totally invested in them.  

Read  in Dec.; blog post scheduled for April 3, 2017.

NetGalley/Random House Children's Books

YA/Suspense.  April 18, 2017.  Print length:  384 pages.  

10 comments:

  1. I think I read more of her adult books than her YA ones. I'd just finished reading "City of the Lost" and enjoyed it; it has a interesting and flawed heroine which I liked.

    This book sounds intriguing too. I'll keep it in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked A Darkness Absolute, the second one in the Casey Duncan series, better than City of the Lost, and I thought her YA series,Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising series, were really good. :)

      Delete
  2. I really must get to this at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a prolific writer--she often has two books a year! And so many series!

      Delete
  3. Armstrong has the gift of luring a reader in and holding them captive. :-) This does sound a bit out there, but fun just the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have a gift for both luring and keeping captivated. None of her books are realistic, they all have some magical component, but I always find myself willingly accepting the worlds she creates. :)

      Delete
  4. I think this one sounds good. I tried reading one of Armstrong's adult novels once, but ended up not finishing it. This story sounds better. And the character's name is so great: Winter Crane! Who could pass up a novel about a girl named that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--Winter Crane is a great name. :) Armstrong's female characters are strong and interesting. A lot of books with supernatural/paranormal elements don't work for me, but Armstrong allows me to "suspend disbelief."

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of her YA books but I think I might enjoy this one. Enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her YA books are just as suspenseful and quite addictive. I think the Darkest Powers series is my favorite. :)

      Delete