Search This Blog

Friday, July 17, 2020

No Woods So Dark as These by Randall Silvis

Disappointed.  Foreshadowing is alternated with sentimentality that contributes to a depressing experience.

Their last case has left Ryan DeMarco and Jayme Matson emotionally exhausted, but just when they hope to have a peaceful recovery period, more bodies drag them into a new case.

I loved the first book in this series, but succeeding books have failed to match that experience, and this one was a no go for me.  Maybe because the protagonist in the first book was (by necessity) followed by DeMarco as the lead, I've not felt as engaged with the characters.  Could have been cut by about 100 pages of foreshadowing and foreboding.

NetGalley/Poisoned Pen Press
Mystery.  Aug. 4, 2020.  Print length:  448 pages.  






12 comments:

  1. That's a shame. Sometimes succeeding books are a hit or miss. Will you still follow this series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll read another in the series. :(

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...I hate it when that happens but it does happen. I think I own the first book. Will keep your thoughts in mind. On to the next, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is disappointing. The first book was so good! Yep, on to the next. :)

      Delete
  3. I hate when the first book in a series is really good and the rest of the books aren't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The in between books were OK, not as good as the first by any means, but OK. This latest one did not work for me at all.

      Delete
  4. Does it seem to you that more and more book covers look alike? The cover of this one reminds me a whole lot of the cover of Louise Penny's latest. I pay a lot of attention to covers, and this is really starting to bug me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, book covers follow trends and become more generic with each cover that goes that route. I'm sure it is cheaper to imitate than to commission original covers, but it is a shame.

      Delete
  5. Well, that sucks! It's annoying and devastating when a series I liked just gets worse with each book :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The protagonist in the first book made the plot. It should have been a stand alone. The next books took a secondary character as protagonist to continue the series, and the complexity of the first book changed to typical "thriller" material. Almost as if there are two different authors....

      Delete
  6. I did read the first one in this series but just never followed up. It's a bummer when the follow ups in a series don't deliver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the first one, but the others not nearly as much--and this last one was a disappointment.

      Delete