Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 04, 2020

The Cutting Place by Jane Casey


DS Maeve Kerrigan is determined to find out who is responsible for the death and dismemberment of a young journalist.  At the time of her death, Paige Hargreaves was investigating the Chiron Club, an elite men's club with rich and powerful members.


There is a reason that elite men's clubs so frequently make suspenseful plots: exclusiveness, secrecy, the wealth, power and privilege of members, the connections and pressure members are able to apply, and frequently, the abuse of women.  Whether organized like the Chiron Club, or less organized like Jeffrey Epstein's friends, power and influence make the news. 

Jane Casey's Kerrigan/Derwent series is one of the best crime series around, and the relationship of DS Maeve Kerrigan and DI Josh Derwent combined with excellent plotting keep this series in my top five favorite in the crime/police procedural genre.  

Each of the books can be read as a standalone, but beginning with the first book allows the pleasure of watching the bickering relationship between Maeve and Josh develop into a trusting partnership.  Not always an agreeable one, frequently fraught with different opinions, but when it comes down to it, the partners come through for each other.  

Maybe all that needs to be said about Jane Casey's  The Cutting Place is that Maeve Kerrigan and Josh Derwent are back.  (The Cutting Place did have a surprise for me.  Something I didn't expect.)

Start at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end, but don't miss this series!

Read in June; blog review scheduled for Aug. 4.

NetGalley/HarperCollins
Police Procedural/Crime.  Sept. 3, 2020.  Print length:  400 pages.

18 comments:

  1. You're right -- these sorts of clubs ala Epstein are interesting and also creepy. This series is new to me and i am already impressed that you have called this series one of the best you've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Casey's first book The Burning caught my attention and kept me glued to the pages. I'm greedy for each new book in the series. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm bad at following series, so I'm glad to hear this can read as a standalone though it's always best to start from the first book. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the books can be read as standalones, but I'd start with The Burning, Melody!

      Delete
  3. Another series I really want to start reading! These mysteries always sound so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters, plots, and writing are always engrossing in Jane Casey's books. I think you'd really like them!

      Delete
  4. I'll add my recommendation for this series. It's one of my favorites too and I'm always delighted when we get to spend more time with Maeve and Josh. I'm about halfway through this one right now. One of those I want to savor and read slowly, but then I don't want to read slowly. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some books that won't let you slow down too much, regardless of how much you want to. I agree about looking forward to spending time with these characters!

      Delete
  5. I do love a good police procedural so I'll check this series out. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an excellent series. Try starting with The Burning, and I'll bet you can't read just one. :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen this series before but I love this genre so I'll definitely be putting it on my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Casey's characters and plots keep the reader enthralled. Her characters are the kind you are always eager to meet again!

      Delete
  7. Another series to add to my list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! You won't regret knowing Maeve Kerrigan and Josh Derwent. The Burning is an excellent introduction to the characters.

      Delete
  8. I got a copy of this one but I would like to read the series in order as I really liked the characters. Ugh. I'm just so behind. Glad to hear that you think this one could be read as a standalone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey is able to create great characters and plots. The characters develop throughout the series, but each book stands independently. :)

      Delete
  9. I think I'm finally catching up with most of the series I already read, and I've been looking for a new one to start. This one makes the short-list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to each new entry in this series. I hope you give it a try, Sam. :)

      Delete