Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

 

From Description:  Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission--and if he fails, humanity and the earth itself will perish.


Except that right now, he doesn't know that. He can't even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it.

 Strangely, I abandoned both The Martian and Artemis, but Project Hail Mary was a definite hit for me.  

There is a lot of science/physics/math that I didn't understand, but made me think that solving problems with this knowledge could encourage young people into STEM courses.  Even a "mathophobe" like me was intrigued and felt the excitement of problem solving.  

Middle School science teacher, Ryland Grace wakes up from an induced coma far in space, with no memory of how he got there.  His two crew mates didn't survive, and it takes him a while to  remember even  his name, but he gradually realizes that he has a great deal of knowledge about the ship and its functions.  At first, his knowledge is a little surprising to him, but as his memory returns in fits and starts, and he experiences flashbacks of his previous life, he understands the mission of Project Hail Mary and its importance--a last ditch effort to save Earth and humanity.  

He is alone in space...until he isn't.  He finds an unexpected ally, and the two of them risk their lives over and over to make sure their missions are completed.  Here, Weir excels at creating a dynamic between Ryland Grace and Rocky and moves beyond the typical space adventure into something more.  The need for Grace and Rocky to communicate, to except each other's abilities and limitations, and to work together using their combination of skills in order to save their respective worlds is the crux of the book.  Yes, it is a space adventure, but not in the usual sense--Project Hail Mary combines suspense and humor and "humanity" in the midst of some abstruse science and mathematics.  

As I mentioned, the science and math was beyond me, and yet I found the way Weir used it (or perhaps, overused it)  made me see the solving of mathematical and scientific puzzles as exciting as solving a mystery in a police procedural.   Never thought that could happen.  

I was completely engaged from first to last with this novel.  Rocky is the highlight and an unforgettable character--you really need to meet him!  

Read in March; review scheduled for April 25.

NetGalley/Random House/Ballentine                                                                                                        Science Fiction.  May 4, 2021.  Print length:  496 pages.  

19 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, and I'll be grabbing it as soon as my library gets a copy...hopefully in the next few weeks. I just put it on the hold list and I'm number 6 on the large print version and number 25 on the regular version. Depending on how many copies they've ordered, the regular print book could still be the one I get first.

    I did enjoy The Martian, book and movie, but that's all I've read from Wier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably give The Martian another try, maybe I was just not in the mood for it. This one, however, caught my attention immediately and held it. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great read! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much. I'll have to see if my library gets it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of math and science, but the plot and the characters are compelling!

      Delete
  3. I did read and love The Martian, but I haven't read this one. Yet. I'm excited to read it though; it sounds really good. Glad you liked it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you loved The Martian, you may enjoy this one as well. I really should give The Martian another go since I liked this one so much. :)

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't understand the physics, maths part of it either but it does sound like a great read. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Although I didn't understand the math and physics, I appreciate the author's knowledge and research.

      Delete
  5. This does sound good. I did read The Martian but didn't enjoy it as much as many others. I think it is a book that's best suited for the audiobook format, since so many of those who raved about it listened to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember why I abandoned The Martian, but I never thought of abandoning Project Hail Mary. It isn't without flaws, but they didn't really disturb me. :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds good - but I must admit I usually find scifi hard to get into

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love science fiction, but I don't think you would have to really like science fiction to get involved with this one.

      Delete
  7. I've to admit this wouldn't be my go-to read given the mathematical and scientific puzzles but the characters sound interesting and I like how they decided to work together to save their respective worlds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the characters are interesting, not only Ryland Grace and Rocky, but also the characters we learn about in the flashbacks as Ryland regains his memory!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like one Ricky might like. I believe he read all The Martian. He likes science, not sure about math. He did give up on our taxes this year and took them to an agency to complete. If you could get through the math and science in this one, I might be able to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The math/science can be skimmed when it gets to be too much, but the plot and the characters are worth reading in The Hail Mary Project. If Ricky liked The Martian, he would probably like this...and you would, too!

      Delete
  9. I tried The Martian, but couldn't get into it. I did like the movie, however. I may have to give this one a try, as I'm very curious about Rocky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get into The Martian, either. Now, I'm wondering if I should have given the book more time, because I certainly enjoyed this one.

      Delete
  10. That is such a striking cover and I've been wanting to read his books but mention math and I'm running for the hills. Glad he is able to still make this work even if there is math involved! :)

    ReplyDelete