Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Library

Carl's post this morning (actually, now it was yesterday morning, as I didn't finish this post yesterday) was about the benefits of the public library, one of my favorite places. This is my most recent stack of library books.
Interred With Their Bones by Jennifer Carrell (mystery, thriller - lost play by Shakespeare; murder and mayhem)

Outlander by Diana Gabaldonl (the 600 page time-travel romance that everyone else has read; first in a long series)

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (one review says, "It can be read with equal validity as fantasy, science fiction, horror, or slipstream.")

Hunting Fear by Kay Hooper (rec. by Kim at Mouse Medicine; a thriller with psychics)

Death Comes for the Fat Man by Reginald Hill (Dalziel and Pascoe...Love them! newest in the series by Hill; just finished and must review.)

Baltimore,: or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden (rec. by Carl as one of his favorites from 2007)

I'm not finding much computer time lately and when I'm home, I have to limit myself in order to catch up with other things, but today I hope to have more time to visit some of my favorite blogs.

14 comments:

  1. Outlander is the best book in the whole series! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the library. Isn't it the best place. I can't wait to read your review on the Reginald Hill book.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be interested to hear what you think about INTERRED WITH THEIR BONES. I loved OUTLANDER but I haven't continued with the series yet. You've got some good ones.

    And....I love the public library too. Well, they sign my paycheck but I loved them long before that was true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such a stack of books that I've picked up at yard sales and such that it has been eons since I've been to the public library. I miss the smell....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladytink- I hope so, too!

    Iliana - Love the library, and I got lucky this time. I'll review the latest Hill tomorrow.

    Kay -- I'm almost through with Interred With Their Bones, but... not so good. The library must be a great place to work, surrounded by books!

    Paula -- Good for you for trolling the yard sales for books. I haven't been to yard sales for quite a while, but it used to be a favorite activity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, Interred wih their Bones, not so good? Wah, it on my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camille -- Sorry! The details about the Shakespeare controversy are interesting, but the story itself is pretty silly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're reading Outlander for the first time! How exciting!!! Sometimes I wish I could erase it from my mind and read it for the first time again--that sounds strange, but I'm that much of a fan!

    Thanks for sharing your library stash; I'm always curious about what items people are checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A belated Happy New Year to you. :)

    I just got back to the neck of my wood myself, feeling a bit disoriented and forgetful. Ha!

    I'll have to start a couple reading challenges, and check on the library new book shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. T.Y. -- I haven't started it yet, but I'm going to get to it soon. Actually, I think I tried to read it once before, another one recommended by a student years ago, but just didn't have time.

    Matt -- Welcome back! You've had an exciting trip and probably need time to settle back into your routine. I read your review of the Echo Maker and will be looking for a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great pile of books. Your trip to the library was certainly a good one! I look forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carl - Just finished Baltimore...Wow! Will review soon, but need to let it settle for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Piles of books are the best! I do sometimes find the plastic covers on library books hurt though, often have to guiltily peel them off then remember to put them on before returning. Enjoy Perdido Street Station! I loved it, despite not really loving his other books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stormfilled - I do love piles of books! I've been wanting to read something by Mieville, so I'm glad you recommend this one. I believe the other one that I've heard high praise for recently is a YA, but at the moment cannot recall the title.

    ReplyDelete