Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Eccentricities


Four eccentric figures in progress, a bit steam-punkish, a lot odd.  Appropriate.

I have gotten some of the books I ordered, but not all of them.  Still waiting on several.  Eagerly.  I love anticipating mail, and I've ordered a couple of things from Etsy, too, so it should be a good mail week!

Some of the books I've ordered are for me, but several are for the grandkids.  Maybe I should  begin reviewing children's books...I read enough of them.  Most of them, however, are the same ones over and over.  :)
 Have several  of Jon Muth's books on order, including Zen Ghosts, Zen Shorts, Zen Ties, and Three Questions (Based on a story by Leo Tolstoy).  My husband heard an NPR interview  with Jon Muth and called to tell me; he was so impressed, I ordered them immediately.

Aside from Ariel, the mermaid, and Richard Scarry books and Olivia, Bryce Eleanor loves A Dignity of Dragons: Collective Nouns for Magical Beasts.  Who can resist collective nouns like a dignity of dragons, a splash of mermaids, a grace of unicorns, a vengeance of harpies, a chord of sirens?  The illustrations are beautiful; it is an altogether charming book for children and adults.

I really am going to review some books later today.  Need to do that before I go to the library!

8 comments:

  1. I love your picture of the eccentricities!

    You'll have to share with us your Etsy finds. I haven't been buying much lately but the holidays are coming up and that's when I go into shopper mode for family, friends and me too of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Iliana! Can't share my Etsy yet (arrived today) because it is a gift for someone, but I will after I get it in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Iliana said! How are you making those little creatures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookfool-- I plan to get the package ready to mail to Baton Rouge tomorrow. Then I'll show you my Etsy purchases; I'm very pleased with them and think Erin will like them.

    The little eccentric dolls are usually cloth and clay, papier mache, just clay, or a mixture of techniques. The latest are all clay. I use Paper Clay, which is an air drying clay and great fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I'll have to look up paper clay -- never heard of it! I need to get back to crafting. I seem to be sinking into another deep, dark depression since I became an empty-nester and crafting always lifted my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try Michael's--the stuff is so much fun! Crafting can really help fill the hole when the kids leave home. And you can take over a kid's room for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking over a kid's room is the BEST!
    Love that collective noun, a dignity of dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bookmoot-- It really is, isn't it? Having a room of your own (yes, Virginia (Wolfe) a crafting room, at least for me)to play in and only clean when YOU feel like is wonderful.

    I love the book and all the collective nouns!

    ReplyDelete