Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Study in Darkness by Emma Jane Holloway

A Study in Darkness:  
Book Two in the Baskerville Affair

I thoroughly enjoyed A Study in Silks by Holloway and was pleased to have the opportunity to read more about Evelina Cooper, niece of Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes and her adventures.  

I enjoyed this one as well, but in my review of Silks, I mentioned I'd like more of Imogene and Bucky, secondary characters who added greatly to the first novel.  Unfortunately, there was much less of these two characters in Darkness.  

The title is appropriate; there is less humor in this second installment.  The focus is more exclusive on Emma and on Nick.  Emma is caught in a compromising situation that leads to forced compliance to the steam baron known as the Gold King and leading her to an area of London full of crime and poverty. 

Nick has taken to air piracy, with some sympathy for the rebel contingent.  Tobias is unhappily engaged to the Gold King's daughter.  Both men are still in love with Emma.  Magnus and his automatons have a place in one of several conspiracies.  Sherlock and Mycroft have plans of their own.

This second version loses some of its appeal with a more serious tone, but is still a fun steam-punk mystery/thriller.

NetGalley/Random House, Del Rey Spectra

Steampunk/Mystery.  Oct. 29, 2013.  Print version:  544 pages.

5 comments:

  1. I must have missed your review of the first book in this series, or maybe I read it and wasn't in exactly the mood for that kind of thing. But I am having a rather awful weekend today, and A Study in Silks sounds like just exactly the thing. Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound like a neat series. I know I'd probably want to start with the first one though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning to read this series. They are releasing them close together. Thanks for the review.
    -Dilettantish Reader

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iliana - You really do need to begin this series with the first one! Not always necessary, but in this case, it really is required.


    Belle - I received all of them from NetGalley and have the third review scheduled for closer to the release date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny - Sorry about the awful weekend! Books are always a solace...if you can find the right one!

    ReplyDelete