Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Dry Bones and Paris Ransom

Dry Bones by Craig Johnson is the latest Longmire novel. The ebook format makes it a little difficult to determine the speaker at times, but formatting is a frequent problem with ebook ARCs, and you get used to it.

Of course, I enjoyed catching up with Sheriff Walt Longmire, Henry Standing Bear and other characters who are the most successful component of the Longmire novels. Old friends and a new mystery make this series one of my favorites.  

The plot has roots in the battles over the T Rex skeleton named Sue.  Here are three links that give you information about the inspiration for the plot:  Researchers Had to Battle Government After Finding Record T rex, and Feds Overreached in Taking Sue the T-rex,  and The Seizure of Sue the T rex.  I remember this controversy and still feel the government was petty and wrong in their seizure.  

In Dry Bones, the discovery of the T rex Jen involves a similar dispute over ownership, but also includes the murder of Danny Lone Elk, on whose property the T rex was discovered.  In a secondary story line, there is a family tragedy that leads up to prospective changes in the next book.  I don't want to spoil the effect by explaining further.

If you have not read this series, I recommend starting with A Cold Dish.  Craig Johnson is a genuine delight to read, and I would love to meet Walt and Henry.

NetGalley/Penguin Group/Viking

Mystery/Western.  May 12, 2015.  Print length:  320 pages.


Paris Ransom 

I enjoyed Long Knives by Rosenberg a while back, but this one didn't appeal to me as much.  Not bad and no gore and some interesting information about the differences in French policing and judicial policies, and yet I didn't feel as involved as I did in the previous novel.


My favorite character was Judge Roland de Fournis, not Jenna James or Robert Tarza who somehow failed to make the impression I expected.  And Oscar, well, he is important and physically absent most of the time.  I was surprised to learn about his background, though, and hope he will regain more of a presence in the future.

NetGalley/Thomas & Mercer

Mystery.   May 19, 2015.  Print length:  396 pages.



8 comments:

  1. These sound good. I will check out A Cold Dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed this series for several years. Love the characters and the setting as we lived in Wyoming when I was small.

      Delete
  2. I've read maybe 3 of the Longmire books. Another series to catch up on. My husband, on the other hand, is anxiously awaiting this new entry as he is caught up. We loved the TV series. Did you see it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched one episode of the TV series, but never continued for some reason. I like Lou Diamond Phillips, but not as Henry. Still it is a series I should watch and just separate it from the books. :)

      Delete
  3. I read A Cold Dish a few years ago and unfortunately I think I had to rush through to finish it for book group so I didn't get to really appreciate it as much. Would like to revisit though. Have you watched the series? I only caught a couple of the episodes thinking I would rather read the books but well, I'm behind aren't I?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't we always behind somewhere? Books or television. I like watching television series best after there are several seasons so I don't have to wait on the next episode. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so terribly behind with Johnson's series. Ugh. It's embarrassing. Especially as a person who loves his books.

    I'm sorry Paris Ransom wasn't better. It sounds like it's a worthy series to pick up and read though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You were the person who first recommended Johnson's series on a blog post several years ago. I have loved them ever since.

      Delete