Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

  The Bone Season  

How to categorize this novel....  It is an interesting combination of genres:  science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, futuristic, dystopian, paranormal, political corruption, and underworld crime.

It takes a little while to become settled in the first chapter. The author's attempt to give some background to the world she has created is in the form of an information dump that doesn't always make things clearer.   There are also a lot of terms that need to be explained and although there is a glossary at the back, it would have been nice to have more of them defined in context.  That said, the inclusion of new terms didn't bother me exceedingly, and after the plenitude of sometimes puzzling information, by the second chapter, I was quickly immersed in the world Shannon has created.

Paige Mahoney is a clairvoyant, a class of people feared and hunted by the Scion government.  Just to say one is a "voyant" is only the beginning, however, because one size does not fit all.  There are seven major orders and under each order there are sub-orders.
(for example:  if you were classified as a Guardian, you might be a Binder, a Summoner, a Necromancer, or an Exorcist).

Paige Mahoney is a Jumper, the highest category, and under that umbrella, she is a Dreamwalker, an extremely rare type of clairvoyant.  Since voyants are persecuted by the government, they often join one of the criminal syndicates that protects them, and Paige has a crucial role in the syndicate run by the mime-lord Jaxon Hall.  She is his Dreamwalker and his Mollisher (chosen successor).

When an attempt is made to arrest Paige, she discovers an element of her power that leaves one man dead and another insane.  She escapes the initial confrontation, but is later captured and transferred to a voyant prison run by a powerful alien society known as the Rephaim, who work in conjunction with the Scion government that supplies the voyants.

I found myself engrossed and unable to put the novel down for any length of time--all other projects and activities were set aside.  I already had the second book and dived into it immediately.  

The trailer is a great introduction to the book.

SciFi/Fantasy.  2013.  Print length: 480 pages.  

14 comments:

  1. I read this last year and while I loved it and its creativity (Dreamwalkers, yay!) I gave it 4/5 because there was just too much confusing info that I felt could've been explained better or left out. However, I do have the second one on my kindle from last month or so and hope to be in the mood to read it soon. Thanks for a good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, and I agree that parts needed better explanation. I gave it 4/5 on Goodreads for the same reasons you rated it 4/5. In spite of the problems, it was a compelling read--and a pretty remarkable feat for a first novel!

      Delete
  2. This sounds good and that trailer was very interesting. I'd have to be in the right mood. I don't read too many books like this, but sometimes, yes, sometimes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novel was suspenseful and full of intriguing characters and lots of action. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. It's good to know there's a second book so I can get it as soon as I finish this one. Although I am not certain when that will be, I really do want to read it. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm a little overwhelmed with books right now, too. Despite having started and abandoned a number of books, I've had good luck with quite a few lately. Still, I wonder if I'll ever get around to several that are on my TBR and wish lists! Hope you get a chance to give The Bone Season a try.

      Delete
  4. Are you enjoying the second book as much as the first? My mother LOVED the first book, and then she was not at all thrilled with the second one. (Sad!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the second one, but not as much as the first. It was much slower. I will still read the third, though it will be almost a year before it is published. :(

      Delete
  5. I'm with Kay; this seems like one of those books I need to be in a mood to read. That said, I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jenclair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bone Season kept my interest, and I liked the various categories of clairvoyants.

      Delete
  6. Chiming in with Kay and Melody that while I can enjoy a book like this, I have to be in the right mood to go along for the ride. I am fascinated by authors that create these totally different worlds. I wonder how they keep all the "facts" straight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder about keeping facts, characters, and plots straight, too!

      Delete
  7. So, I got an ARC of this book, went to read it, the first two chapters were missing! lol The publisher sent me another copy but sadly I was in my reading slump by then and never got to it. I really want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh?! That must of been frustrating, Kelly. I really liked it, hope you will, too, when you get around to it!

      Delete