Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

An Extravagant Death by Charles Finch

 

This is a little unusual for a Charles Lenox novel, he ends up in America at the request of the British Prime Minister.  Disraeli wants Lenox out of the country during a trial involving officers of Scotland Yard.

Giving in to his early dreams of travel, Lenox eventually accedes to the P.M.'s request and travels to New York.

After a short stay in N.Y., Lenox is to travel to meet some colleagues  in Boston, accompanied by Teddy Blaine, a young man from one of the wealthiest families in America who is interested in becoming a detective.  The journey is interrupted when the train is stopped and Lenox is handed a letter pleading with him to come to New Port, R.I. (then as now, the summer homes of the ultra rich) to solve the murder of a young debutante.

In New Port, Lenox goes about interviewing folks from all spectrums of society, from Vanderbilts to kitchen staff with the occasional presence of Teddy Blaine, in his attempts to solve the murder. Some of his thoughts are revealed in the letters he writes to his wife Lady Jane, his brother Edmund, and his close friend Graham.  

As always, Charles Finch reveals segments of Victorian society, but this outing reveals elements of the American Gilded Age, that time between the end of the Civil War and before the turn of the century. The opulence, the fantastic wealth, the summer "cottages" with 70 to 100+ rooms (and all of the servants required to maintain them) is touched on as Lennox observes New Port's stunning affluence.

In addition to the mystery plot, I learned the origin of the word "shrapnel" and the phrase "heard it through the grapevine."  Lt. Henry Shrapnel invented an artillery shell that fragmented in 1803 and the Grapevine Tavern in N.Y. was a place where Union officers and Confederate spies mingled during the Civil War.  Thus, the source of news, information, gossip, and rumors was through the Grapevine.  
 
There was also a brief reference to Julia Margaret Cameron (1815-1879), the British photographer considered one of the most important portraitists of the time.  I was familiar with her portraits of Julia Jackson Duckworth, Cameron's niece, otherwise I wouldn't have caught this one sentence reference.

Another great outing with Finch's Charles Lenox and the expectation of some changes in the future.

Read in October; blog post scheduled for March 23, 2021.

NetGalley/St. Martin's Press

Historical Mystery.  Feb. 10, 2020.  Print length:  288 pages.

22 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with Charles Finch's books but it seems a lot of things happened in this book. And thanks for sharing the info you've learned. Now I've learned something new, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading Finch for years now and have always enjoyed his Victorian mysteries. It was interesting to see a Brit's look at the Gilded Age, and I love learning about the history of words and phrases!

      Delete
  2. I never knew where the phrase "heard it through the grapevine" came from. That's so interesting! This sounds like a great read. It's always fun to see familiar characters in new settings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought to wonder about how "heard it through the grapevine" originated, just accepted it without curiosity, so it was fascinating to learn the origin! Yes, familiar characters in new settings can be fun!

      Delete
  3. Love the bookish trivia about shrapnel and through the grapevine! Always fun to learn something new when you're reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to learn through reading! That is one reason I love historical mysteries, a good historical is always well-researched!

      Delete
  4. I've just finished A Beautiful Blue Death (still available on Netgalley) and loved the setting, the style of writing Lenox's own personal style of detection. I wish I could have got to this author before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have found Finch and the interesting Charles Lenox! I'm always eager to see what will develop in these books!

      Delete
  5. You know... I've met and spoken with Finch, I always enjoy listening to what he has to say, and I've always meant to start reading this series. My "road" (so far) is well-paved with good intentions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, you always have the most personal views through your attendance at book festivals and writers' conferences! It always makes things more interesting to see your posts about authors. :)

      Delete
    2. I can't wait until in-person events and conferences are back in action. I miss seeing these wonderful writers!

      Delete
    3. I look forward to your routine to the circuit. :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you book review
    My reading list is enhanced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I love an enhanced reading list and work on mine daily!

      Delete
  7. I've heard so many good things about this series and just don't know how I keep putting it off. I do have the first book on my shelves and just need to dust it off and get ready for a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed this series for years. I like the Victorian setting and characters. :)

      Delete
  8. Great review, Jen...I don't think I could have been more wrong about the origins of "heard it through the grapevine" if I had tried. I always assumed that it was a take on the interconnectedness of grapevines, etc. and how difficult it would be to keep a secret from similarly connected close friends. "Logic" doesn't always work, does it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is a good one, and I especially enjoyed learning bout The Grapevine Tavern. :)

      Delete
  9. The mix of USA & Victorian settings piques my interest! This series is so consistently good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked the visit to the Gilded Age. Can't imagine living in a "summer cottage" with 70+ rooms and a staff to accommodate the upkeep. :)

      Delete
  10. I stopped reading this series for some reason. Your review makes me think I need to pick it up again. Love the linguistic references, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still enjoy the Charles Lennox series, although I've certainly liked some better than others. :) I can't even read the phrase "I heard it through the grapevine" without hearing Gladys Knight and the Pips.

      Delete