Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Fear on the Fens by Joy Ellis and The Stolen Hours by Allen Eskens

From description:
Now.
In the beautiful gardens of Shelley House a shocking discovery is made. A blackened hand dangles over the side of a wheelbarrow. The horrific scent of burnt flesh lingers in the air.

Detective Nikki Galena and Joseph Easter are called in to investigate.

Twenty years ago.
A family destroyed by tragic secrets. The scientist father who killed their gardener, before being murdered himself. The brother who disappeared, never to be seen again.

The 13th entry in the Nikki Galena series has some gruesome murders and a connection to Stargate, the recruitment of psychics for studies by the CIA.  As usual,  seeing Nikki's team in action and the connection to the CIA's attempts at remote viewing kept me interested, but this was not my favorite in the series.

Stargate and Remote Viewing and Stargate: Controlled Remote Viewing  

NetGalley/Joffe Books

Mystery/Thriller.  Oct. 14, 2021.  Print length:  400 pages



The Stolen Hours by Allen Eskens is the third in the Joe Talbert series, but the first one I've read.  It worked well as a standalone, and I'll probably go back and pick up the two earlier books at some point.  

Photographer Gavin Spencer plans ahead; when he commits a murder, he has anticipated almost every difficulty.  And even when he can't predict certain events, he has back-up plans in place.

Lila Nash is on the verge of getting the job she most wants, but a vindictive prosecutor is making an attempt to ruin Lila's career. Fortunately, Andi Fitch is on her side, giving her opportunities she had not had previously.  Lila is assigned Sadie Vaulk's case against Gavin Spencer.  Working with Detective Niki Vang, who made the connections between Sadie's case and six previous cases in which the victims did not survive, Lila discovers a chilling connection to Spencer.  

Tense and suspenseful, The Stolen Hours proved a solid new-to-me series that will have me looking at the two earlier books as well!  Thanks to Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea for recommending this one. 

NetGalley/Mulholland Books

Legal Thriller.  Sept. 7, 2021.  Print length:  320 pages.

22 comments:

  1. Ooo, thank you. my reading list gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That is always a problem with reading lists!

      Delete
  2. I've read almost all of Eskene's books. I really like the way he writes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first experience with Eskens, but it won't be my last. Stolen Hours definitely had a tricky villain.

      Delete
  3. I've not read Esken's books as yet, but I know several of you (Diane, Cathy, etc.) enjoy them. I did pick up his first two at a 'new to me' lovely little used bookstore here in Kerrville. I expect I'll be going back to it often! And I'm trying to think where I left off of the Nikki Galena books - maybe #9 or #10. Looks like some catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Joy Ellis' Nikki Galena series and her Rowan Jackman series.

      I haven't looked yet for more by Eskens, but I intend to. I may try the library or a local used bookstore. Glad you had good luck at your Kerrville used bookstore. :)

      Delete
  4. I greatly enjoyed the one Eskens book I've read, Nothing More Dangerous. This series sounds equally interesting. I must take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing More Dangerous sounds good, and it is a standalone, I think. I'll take what I can find. Hopefully, the library will have a copy of one or more of Eskens' books.

      Delete
  5. Both of these sound good. And I love the fact that The Stolen Hours works well as a standalone. It's always nice being able to jump into a series without being lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to the standalone. :) The first two books are evidently about Joe Talbert, but this one is about Lila Nash, so for those of us who haven't read the earlier books, it's easy to fall into.

      Delete
  6. The Stolen Hours sounds good - especially seeing that both you and Diane liked it so much. Going on the list...for what that's worth these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like The Stolen Hours. Eskens is a new to me author that I think I'll enjoy. :)

      Delete
  7. I wish my library had any of Joy Ellis's books; I've wanted to try her for years. Eskens sounds like another author I'd like, and luckily, my library actually has several of his books. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindle Unlimited has Joy Ellis; if I miss them on NetGalley, I can get them there. Ellis is British, but I would think the library should carry them. Who knows how they decide.

      Delete
  8. It's been a while since I've read one of Ellis's books, but I do enjoy them. I may try some of the newer ones in print, though, since I hardly remember anything about the ones I've listened to.

    I'm glad you enjoyed The Eskens' book. I really liked his first mystery, but haven't read any more. This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one isn't my favorite by Ellis, but her books are always interesting. I'm going to get to Eskens' first book. Eventually!

      Delete
  9. The Stolen Hours sounds like a good one; and all the more better it works as a standalone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate an author who can allow you to enjoy a novel in a series without feeling you've missed a lot of background. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh I'm glad you liked the Allen Eskens new book ... I just got it from the Library. I have liked his other novels especially his debut The Life We Bury. Very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am obviously late to this author, but Allen Eskens is now on my list, and I do want to catch up on his books!

      Delete
  11. Seems like an interesting direction for the Nikki Galena series! I've only read two books but have really enjoyed the two main characters a lot. And, I think I have one of the Esken's books on my Kindle. So many good books to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoy Joy Ellis' books, even if this isn't my favorite, I love catching up with the characters. I just keep adding good books to my list and my queue! Reading other people's reviews can result in a long, long list of books to look forward to reading. :)

      Delete