Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Tall Book

I can't get the 2006 G.I.F.T. Challenge logo to load. Will try again later.

Here are Carl's suggestions:

What you agree to do, if you choose to participate, is to partake of and/or post on any 4 of the following:
Christmas movies

Christmas novels/short stories
Christmas songs
Christmas poems
Christmas traditions
Christmas memories

One of my favorite books when I was young was The Tall Book of Christmas. Out of print for many years, it is now available again, and I bought this copy several years ago, almost breathless with excitement to see it again in print. The copyright date is 1954.

The book begins with the The Christmas Story and has several excellent (if a bit old-fashioned) stories, poems, carols and songs. Mother read it to us when we were very young, then I read it myself for several years, then I read it to our children. It warms my heart each time I bring it out and flip through the pages...

Here is an illustration from The Great Walled Country.

"Nobody who lives there ever grows up. The king and the queen, the princes and the courtiers, play a great deal of the time with dolls and tin soldiers."

This story by Raymond MacDonald Alden was first published in 1906. The illustrations are, of course, from the 1954 edition, but have an innocence and charm that still appeals to me.

7 comments:

  1. "The Tall Book of Christmas" looks like a truly wonderful book, Jenclair! Did you say it was available again? I'm very tempted to buy a copy for our family. I'm in love with the illustrations, too. Like you said, there is certain innocence and charm about them.

    Going to check Amazon now. Thanks, Jenclair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The illustrations are so beautiful. I really like the look of illustrations from the 40's and 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered this book... Thanks for sharing it with us, I know I'll love it! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lotus: I bought another copy for my grandchildren. I want it to be part of their memories when they grow up.

    Heather: The vintage look is so popular now, and this book fits in to a simpler, less hurried time.

    Debby: I hope you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I love the holidays. And all these little books you can get. I just read A Christmas Carol by Dickens and would have redone my entry on Carl's list had I done so before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful illustrations!

    Isn't it amazing when books that you loved as a kid either get republished or an old copy turns up somewhere. It is such a magical experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nessie - I love A Christmas Carol! Especially when I hear someone really good read it.

    Carl - Oh, yeah. There is so much more than the book involved; the book is a way to call up all the Christmases of childhood. Magical and comforting...

    ReplyDelete