Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2020

Murder on Cold Street by Sherry Thomas

Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock #5)

Inspector Treadles accused of murder?  Two dead bodies and Treadles in a locked room.   The two men are connected to his wife's business, and the inspector won't defend himself.  Things aren't looking good.  

Treadles, a traditional man, has had problems with his wife's inheritance of a large manufacturing concern.  Not only is she now the chief source of income, but she has insisted in actually managing the company.  The Victorian mindset of the man being the breadwinner and protector has caused some strife between husband and wife.

The Victorian tradition of patriarchy and male authority is the reason Charlotte has to operate as a factotum of Sherlock Holmes.  It is only as a personal assistant to the fictitious Sherlock that Charlotte and Mrs. Watson are able to succeed in their investigations.   Never doubt, however, that these two women are as capable as any man.  

There is such fun in Charlotte's odd (and autistic?) personality, her love of cake, and her rather fantastic taste in clothing (her Christmas dress almost puts Lord Ingram's eye out).  The truly feminine combined with Charlotte's ability to defy tradition and succeed in a paternalistic society by subterfuge lends even more whimsy to the books.

Each book builds on the other, so start with the first one, A Study in Scarlet Women, to get the full pleasure of how Charlotte becomes Lady Sherlock.

Read in June; blog review scheduled for Sept. 14.

NetGalley/
Historical Mystery.  Oct. 6.  Print length:  362 pages.  
------
I love these stamps, but imagine Charlotte and Mrs. Watson in feminine attire, although Charlotte does, on occasion, assume a male disguise. :)


16 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a great series. Another one I've gotta add to my wishlist. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte is a unique protagonist, for sure!

      Delete
  2. This is a series I want to read, and I have the first book waiting for me. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading more of the Lady Sherlock series. I am glad you continue to enjoy the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the first one, Wendy. It is my favorite because of the plan Charlotte had to pressure her father into paying for her education and how that plan went haywire. :)

      Delete
  4. :) I love a good Sherlock pastiche and have read many--some are serious, some humorous. It is amazing how many authors have done them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series and plan to reread it after I finish a few book group reads and also the new Cormoran Strike book (it's really long, by the way). I think they are perfect fall reading and I'm very interested in what you said about this one. Love a new entry into a favorite series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry Thomas must have fun writing these characters. :) I need to catch up with Cormoran Strike!

      Delete
  6. Charlotte sounds like a very fun character. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte's certainly an unusual character who doesn't works the system by creating a fake Sherlock and solving the mysteries herself. :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great series and Charlotte seems like an intriguing character. And those stamps look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun series, Melody. I love the Sherlock stamps--Holmes and Watson have made it onto a lot of postage. :)

      Delete
  8. For some reason I had a hard time getting into the first book of the series. I blame it all on pandemic fog. Will have to try it again because it really does sound delightful.

    ReplyDelete