Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 02, 2020

The Girls in the Snow by Stacy Green

FBI Profiler Nikki Hunt  is back in Stillwater, Minnesota where two fifteen-year-old girls have been found frozen in the snow.  The main reason for her involvement is a possible connection to a serial killer Nikki and her team have been chasing.  

She knows immediately that the killer is local and not the man they've been chasing, but she still feels some responsibility to aid in the investigation.

This is Nikki's first return to Stillwater in 20 years.  After her parents were murdered, Nikki couldn't wait to finish high school and leave town, which is one personal complication for Nikki.  Another is that the man convicted of her parents' murders has drawn the attention of the Innocence Project and a number of townspeople have joined in support and want his conviction overturned.  Nikki still believes he is guilty, but the situation adds complications.

Nikki has to confront the past and the present even as she tries to discover who killed Madison and Kayleigh--and in a surprising development, whether the murder of the two girls is in any way connected to the murders of her parents.

The Girls in the Snow has a lot of potential as a new series.  I look forward to Nikki Hunt's next case.

Read in August; blog review scheduled for Sept. 2, 2020.

NetGalley/Bookouture
Police Procedural. Oct. 19, 2020.  Print length:  347 pages.  

20 comments:

  1. It's always interesting when a protagonist must confront both the past and present in novel like this. I am glad this is a promising start to a new series. It does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to learn more about Nikki's colleagues in the next book. They didn't get much time, and I like to know more about them. :)

      Delete
  2. I always say to read 'cold' books in the summer. This one does look good and there's the cold. I'm reading Kelley Armstrong's Rockton books right now and my current read is set in the winter up there. Brrr! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, Kay. I wonder if people in cold climates like to read books set in tropical places during the winter. I like the Rockton books! Not just cold, but an isolated setting!

      Delete
  3. Hmm...I wonder if I can fit a new series into my reading life. Because I do like the sound of this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always a new series to try to fit in, isn't there? I do my best--and still can't keep up!

      Delete
  4. Her books are new to me. I am always looking out for new authors so this one goes into my TBR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green is a new author for me, too. I like finding a start to a series--so the cover with the note "Nikki Hunt Book 1" AND snow on the cover and in the title was hard to resist.

      Delete
  5. Hmm, this is new to me, and that her parents’ killer might be innocent adds a new, interesting wrinkle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm attracted to covers with snow, titles with snow, and settings that promise snow. I don't think that your frozen setting/murder case interest is at all weird, Rita! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count me in on being attracted to the snow elements. :) This one definitely sounds like a promising series. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something so mysterious about snow, isn't there? Give it a try, Melody!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a great new series. I haven't read anything by this author before, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to add her books to my TBR list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is fun to predict how a series will develop. The FBI profiler trope is old hat, but still intriguing. :)

      Delete
  9. I've heard good things about this one elsewhere, too. Glad you liked it because I have it on my TBR list already and hope to snag a library copy soon. I agree...has the makings of a good series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the series has potential, and I'm greedy for a new series. :)

      Delete
  10. You've been reading a lot of good books. Another one I have to take note of. I like the "cold" setting especially during the summer here in Texas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the heat and humidity and the pandemic, I've read a lot this summer. Escape from the real world, read books. :)

      Delete