Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Horseman by Christina Henry and Tahoe Blow Up by Todd Borg

 A wonderful cover, but unlike The Girl in Red, Horseman doesn't deliver.  At first, I thought it would be a fun take on the original.  When the two fourteen-year-olds were playing Sleepy Hollow Boys, I expected to love this different perspective on Washington Irving's short story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  Instead, the story begins nearly thirty years later.

Which was fine and still promising.  Brom and Katrina have married, had a son, lost both their son Bendix and their daughter-in-law, and have been raising their grandchild, Bende, usually shortened to Ben.  

As a coming-of-age or self-actualization story, Horseman does have some merit, but in the end, the impact is lost.  The first person narration tends more to "telling" than showing and feels clumsy--like explanations of what is happening.

I looked at some reviews and there are plenty of positive reviews, so the fact that I was disappointed, doesn't mean that you will be.  And no one can fault the cover!

NetGalley/Berkley Publ.

Fantasy.  Sept. 28, 2021.  Print length:  320 pages

 

In early August, I read Tahoe Death Fall by Todd Borg and felt glad to be at the beginning of a long series which will be there when I need something to read in those periods when the pickings are poor or when a book I thought I'd enjoy ends up being abandoned.  

Of particular interest is the plot.  Owen McKenna is alerted by Spot, his Great Dane, and realizes that a fire is rapidly moving up the mountain toward his cabin.  The speed of a forest fire depends on fuel, weather, and terrain and can move as fast as 10 mph.  All conditions are present when McKenna registers the danger, and the fire is quickly moving up the slope at frightening speed.  He notifies his closest neighbor and picks her up as quickly as possible to escape being trapped by the fire.

With all the fires currently burning across the West, the book felt even more relevant  Aside from the search for the arsonist, the information about forest fires was educational.  Blow ups, sudden increases in intensity that risk fire fighters losing control; trees that are more flammable and those that have greater resistance; methods and equipment used in fighting forest fires are all included as McKenna, the fire department, and the forest service deal with the fires.  

I like the characters and, although the arsonist is not too difficult to spot, I enjoyed the way the plot played out.

Thriller Press/Kindle Unlimited

Suspense.  2001.  Print length:  320 pages.



21 comments:

  1. I love that cover...and loved The Girl in Red, too. That one immediately jumped into my mind when I saw the cover of Horseman. What a shame it didn't work for you. I'll try to take a closer look at this one, but I really hate to hear that because our taste is usually somewhat similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers for Henry's books are some of the best out there. Reviews are mixed, but mostly positive. I expected to love it, but that didn't happen for me. :(

      Delete
  2. The Borg book does look promising. As for the other one, I think pastiches on well-known stories often fail to deliver but I have to agree with you about that terrific cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy fairytale and myth retellings and love Sherlock Holmes pastiches--some are successful, some are not. Horseman missed on several levels for me, but it is another gorgeous cover, and all of Henry's covers are wonderful, unique, and creative.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of The Horseman, glad you highlighted this one. I just finished a good mystery called Northern Spy set i Northern Ireland. I read it in 2 days, resented havign to put the book down to make dinner :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't thrilled with Horseman, but I did like Christina Henry's The Girl in Red! I've seen The Northern Spy mentioned on blogs with very positive comments. It is a physical and historical setting that interests me, and I hope to get to it some day soon. :)

      Delete
  4. Shoot. I was hoping Henry's Horseman was going to turn out to be a 5-star read. I do love that Legend of Sleepy Hollow story. Guess you can't win them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping Horseman would be a 5-star read, too. It wasn't for me, but you know how personal a book is, it may be better for you, Lark. :)

      Delete
    2. When my library gets some copies in I'll give it a try and let you know. :)

      Delete
  5. That's a disappointment with Horseman since I enjoyed The Girl in Red. But that cover is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to discover who the artist was and couldn't, but all of Henry's "retellings" have covers that far outshine the repetitive quality of so many covers!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you're continuing to enjoy Borg's series. I've learned about so many different things by reading it, let alone the enjoyment factor from the characters and story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best combination is when you learn something while reading a good story with characters you enjoy! Thanks for the recommendation on this series, Cathy. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear that Horseman was a disappointment. The worst stories for me are those for which I had high hopes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have high hopes for Horseman, and you're right about the higher the hopes for a novel, the greater the disappointment if it doesn't live up to expectations. There are going to be people who love it, but it wasn't a success for me.

      Delete
  8. That's a bummer about Horseman, but I'm glad you enjoyed Tahoe Blowup. It's so nice to find a long series you can count on to get you out of a slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I do enjoy having a series that has plenty of entries to provide sustenance when the picking are thin. Having a series to rely on for characters, plot, and entertainment is certainly a boon.

      Delete
  9. I will probably skip Horseman, but your post is a reminder to me that I have NEVER read any Washington Irving and I should remedy that! Maybe I will with the 2022 iteration of the Back to the Classics Challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading Washington Irving for the Back to the Classics is a good idea. I've only read The Legend of Sleep Hollow, Rip Van Winkle, and The Devil and Tom Walker, but that was so long ago. I haven't read any of his other short stories.

      Delete
  10. Oh the cover for Horseman is excellent! Sounds like it was a bit disappointing but I might be tempted to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of her books have great covers! Do try it, you may like it better than I did. :)

      Delete