Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer


I finally finished listening to Braiding Sweetgrass:  Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants, and it was quite an experience.  A blending of myth, traditions, science, environmental mistakes and possible cures, family anecdotes, and all kinds of thoughts to ponder.  

While I enjoyed some essays more than others and each essay has a strong personal involvement and bias, each one gave me a something to consider about the ecology of this land and the abuses we have inflicted upon it.  Unintended and unexpected consequences, as well as "who cares" consequences.  Even attempts to correct the mistakes often had other harmful consequences.  

First published in 2013, Kimmerer and most scientists were fully aware of the ramifications of global warming/climate change on both flora and fauna.  Eight years later, here we are experiencing the cumulative effects that scientists have been warning about since the climate models of the 1970s.  The changes may have been gradual for years, but the effects have intensified and can no longer be ignored.

Kimmerer had not despaired in 2013, and her work continues to offer ways of reclaiming damaged environments, but I have to wonder how hopeful she continues to be.  The catastrophic fires, floods, hurricanes, and droughts have, for the last few years, forced us to look at what we have wrought and yet, we continue to do the very things that have contributed to the mess we've created.  

Do I agree with Kimmerer's basic philosophy?  Yes.  It is beautiful, scientifically sound, and logical:  reciprocate--take care of what feeds and supports you, don't take more than you need, insure that the plants, trees, and animals that help humans survive can also survive and thrive.  

I wish I could have read this book decades before it was written.  Braiding Sweetgrass may be idealized at times, but it touches people in ways that statistical models cannot.  Perhaps it could have helped curtail the some of the practices that have led us to this point.  Perhaps it would have encouraged a more open-minded outlook and offered a better horizon.

The Wendigo metaphor of insatiable greed and hunger is an affliction we can all recognize:  we want more, faster, easier, more convenient.  We never have enough.  Instead of recognizing this always wanting more as a flaw, societies have seen it as not only acceptable, but aspirational.  

The book is long and the audio version is exceedingly long, but I want to believe that we will, not only this country, but the world, realize the damage we continue to inflict, and think about healing this planet.

Audiobook.



18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you read and enjoyed this important book. I hope your review will encourage others to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an important book, and now I also want to read more about Franz Dolp and Shotpouch Creek as well. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an important read. So glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Braiding Sweetgrass is such a mix of science and culture and little slices of Kimmerer's life--to be savored a little at a time. It approaches nature with the idea that humans need to be caretakers in order for both nature and humans to survive.

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of an essay reader, even when the essays are thoughtful, like it sounds like these are. But I'm glad you enjoyed this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fond of essays about subjects that interest me, and Kimmerer combines the personal essay (my favorite) with her knowledge of plants and ecosystems. Thoughtful and often joyful.

      Delete
  4. Great review and I totally agree with your insights, Jenclair. With so many things happening lately to the world and with the climate change, I'm afraid the damage has been done but I hope with this awareness at least we can do is to lessen the damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so, Melody. The fact that we are facing the consequences may make it real to people who have been unable to accept the reality.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a fascinating read. I remember the first Earth Day. We've known about these issues for so long and yet our actions have been mere tweaks around the edges. I admit I'm not much hopeful :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It is hard to be hopeful when we've seen how little has been done for the good and how much damage has continued.

      Delete
  6. I will be reading this book next January with my book group. If you haven’t already read it, you might also like Gathering Moss by the same author.

    Thanks for your excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do intend to read more by Kimmerer. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

      Delete
  7. I'm not nearly as optimistic about all of this as I was even just a few years ago. I wish the West could fix it all on its own, but that's impossible, making it hard to "sell" the solutions to the population...and it's all so political now that reason seems to have gone out the window. I haven't read this one, but it sounds maybe that it's a little over-hopeful. Sad to say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetgrass was first published in 2013 and many of the essays were from earlier experiences. Honestly, I think her efforts to be optimistic are difficult and she tries not to despair, but even since publication, we've had to confront even worse situations and people still don't want to do what might be necessary to mitigate damage. I struggle with the hope for improvement.

      Delete
  8. I have not read this one ... but I have seen various reviews of it. The authors seem brave and heartfelt. So much needs to be done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it, but I worry that we have passed that "tipping point." Kimmerer is exceptionally knowledgeable and committed, economics drives overconsumption and environmental detriment.

      Delete
  9. This year I read The Sixth Extinction and it's all about where we are headed and at a rapid pace. I think I need to read this one too! Thank you for such a great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't gotten to The Sixth Extinction, and I need to. It is a depressing subject, but a necessary one.

      Delete