Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2019

A Merciful Death by Kendra Elliot

I found a new series that I enjoy.  Mercy Kilpatrick is an FBI Agent whose latest case has taken her back to Eagle's Nest, Oregon where she was born and raised.  

Mercy is not happy to be back in the town she left when she was 18.  For the past 15 years, she has had no contact with any of her family.  Raised in a family of preppers in a town where many people have chosen the prepper life style and often live off the grid, Mercy may have moved away, but she still has the ingrained need to be prepared in case of any catastrophic event.

The crime Mercy and her partner Ed Peterson have been assigned to involves the murder of several preppers and the theft of weapons from each home.  Is someone building a stockpile of weapons?  Is the purpose some kind of domestic terrorism?

One of the victims is the uncle of the current Eagle's Nest police chief, and he has a personal investment in the case.  Truman Daly is doubtful, but intrigued when Mercy sees a connection between the recent murders and murders from the past.  While there are many differences, the fact that all the mirrors in each house have been broken in the current murders resonates with the murders from fifteen years earlier.  And Mercy ought to know.

Truman is relatively new to the town, although he spent several summers as a teenager visiting his uncle, he is not fully accepted by the entire town.  Mercy has the background knowledge and understanding of the mindset of many of the town's citizens.  The two work well together and there is a growing attraction between the two that never takes away from solving the case.

Well-fleshed characters, interesting insight into preppers and survivalists, and a town with some memorable inhabitants.  A Merciful Death reads quickly with enough background on various characters and the town's history to give the setting a realistic atmosphere and unique sense of place while never diluting the suspense.

I've already started on the second book.  :)

Kindle Unlimited
Crime/Suspense.  2017.  Print length:  352 pages.

15 comments:

  1. I've seen that series on Amazon, but haven't tried it. Good to know about the storyline and how it worked for you. I may read this one at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it a lot. The information about preppers and survivalists was interesting and pretty even-handed.

      Delete
  2. Oooooh! I just got the Kindle unlimited edition. Thanks for the thumbs-up, it sounds like a good start to another good series! I see it's going to be a TV series soon. Glad I'll get to read it before it does and things get spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Debby! I'll be sure to catch the television series. Wonder who will play the parts of Mercy and Truman?

      Delete
  3. This sounds good and the main character has an interesting backstory (always a plus!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The backstory for Mercy is interesting...and frustrating!

      Delete
  4. I love that she was raised in a family of preppers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercy can't help her own prepper tendencies; they keep her grounded. She has a great go bag in her vehicle with medical supplies. That could be useful for many people in different circumstances.

      Delete
  5. I've read the first and the third of these. It's a fun series for me because it hinges on an unusual (for me) topic-- preppers. It certainly caught my attention. I should look for the couple that I haven't gotten to yet. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prepper concept does give the series an unusual and interesting aspect. The short chapters keep it reading quickly, too. :)

      Delete
  6. I find it hard to understand the prepper concept. I like Mercy and the relationships you've described but I think i am kind of stuck on the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little like reading a prequel to a dystopian novel to read about preppers, survivalists, and folks who choose to live off the grid. Ever since reading Robinson Crusoe as a child, I've been intrigued by those who can survive in the worst of circumstances. I couldn't! Reading about these people who spend their lives, money, and energy preparing for disaster and how they go about it is both curious and entertaining to me. After reading Ted Koppel's nonfiction Lights Out, it does seem that even the ridiculously wealthy have their own plans.

      Delete
  7. Sounds interesting and also glad to hear you're enjoying this series; so much so that you've started on the second book. :) Another new series to explore!

    PS: And I'd received your letter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, if you've already gone on to the second book then this is one to add to my list!

    ReplyDelete