Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2019

The Night Window, Jane Hawk #5


Although I didn't read the first novel in this series, I've read each of the four following novels.  

About the series:  Groundbreaking, wholly involving, eerily prescient and terrifyingly topical, Dean Koontz's Jane Hawk series sets a new standard for contemporary thrillers. Since her sensational debut in The Silent Corner, readers have been riveted by Jane Hawk's resolute quest to take down the influential architects of an accelerating operation to control every level of society via an army of mind-altered citizens. At first, only Jane stood against the "Arcadian" conspirators, but slowly others have emerged to stand with her, even as there are troubling signs that the "adjusted" people are beginning to spin viciously out of control. Now, in the thrilling, climactic showdown that will decide America's future, Jane will require all her resources--and more--as she confronts those at the malevolent, impregnable center of power.

When reviews call the books suspenseful and categorize the series as thrillers--there is no exaggeration.  Your heart will speed up, your grip on the book or e-reader tighten, and you will wonder if  you can continue.  Sometimes, I had to get up and walk around before coming back to see what happened next in each of the four books I read.

The Night Window won't be released until May, but if you are interested in this series, you have time to check out the earlier books and see what you think.

The Night Window is the concluding book, and I sped through it.  Here is another one of those reading dilemmas:  do you want the series to end? --yes, I want a conclusion and no, I'm not ready for the characters to abandon me.  So...now it has ended, and  I'm left with both satisfaction and a little sadness.   

NetGalley/Random House/Ballentine
Suspense/Thriller.  May 14, 2019.  Print length:  432 pages.

10 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to try these books. I didn't know that this one would be the conclusion and I do understand not wanting a series to end. That being said, I'm glad to know it because now I can start at the beginning and read all 5. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are full of action and some intriguing characters. Jane's kind of like a Jack Reacher on a mission--you want to believe she can survive and bring down the sinister conspiracy. The Techno Arcadians and the possibility of "adjusted" humans is so malevolent that it makes the skin crawl.

      Delete
  2. I totally understand about not wanting a series to end but also wanting it to end well! It is probably pretty tricky for authors too to get that just right.

    I've read some Koontz before: One of the Odd Thomas books and another which was a stand-alone. He does know how to make over-the-top bad guys for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bad guys in this series are certainly over-the-top! But Koontz also knows how to make the reader care about even minor characters.

      Delete
  3. I do like Koontz, though I haven't read any of his Jane Hawk novels. But I look forward to giving them a read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is fast-paced and full of action and pretty damn scary! :)

      Delete
  4. There are times I don't want a series to end but then again sometimes a series can be drawn out for way too long... Stephanie Plum, I'm looking at you! I haven't read a Koontz book in years. Glad to hear this was a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! There are some good series that run a long time, but some overstay there visits!

      Delete
  5. I'm like Iliana; haven't read his books in years. There was a time I devoured his books (older ones) and they were so much fun to read. I'll have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete