Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The Old You by Louise Voss


The Old You by Louise Voss has an intriguing premise.  For Lynn Naismith the onset of dementia in her husband Ed is devastating, but there are a few things that confuse her about the situation.  Although Lynn puts some worrisome situations out of her mind, she does question certain events.  Not too seriously, though.

Unfortunately, I found the pacing slow and uneven until the latter part of the novel, at which point the twists just annoyed me.  It was really difficult to sympathize with any of the characters. 

Not much of the novel rang true for me, and I really lost patience with the bit about the clinical trial.  Lynn's acceptance of all of the trial and all of the discrepancies and inconsistencies was too hard to accept.


NetGalley/Trafalgar Square Publishing
Domestic Noir?  2018 & Jan. 1, 2019.  Print length:  300 pages.

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I suspect if those things bugged you, they would bug me as well. Might take a pass on this one. Interesting cover though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another gas lighting of the wife, but she's a curious character herself.

      Delete
  2. That premise is just too sad for me...and then the slow pacing? Think I'll pass, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did Ed kill his first wife? In the end, I didn't really care.

      Delete
  3. Hmm... doesn't sound like a book I'd enjoy, especially if it is slow paced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The premise was good, but the pacing was slow, and I was frustrated by Lynn's character.

      Delete
  4. Bummer that this wasn't more to your liking. Along those lines, do you DNF books? Or do you usually see them through even if they aren't as good as you'd hoped? I personally have trouble giving up on a book though I have done it once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do abandon books, but usually it is pretty early on if the writing is bad or the content something I wasn't expecting. Sometimes a blurb sounds really good, but it is clear within a chapter or so (and often within the first page) that the book and I aren't suited. If I get beyond the first couple of chapters, there is usually a compulsion to finish even if I don't especially like the book.

      Delete
  5. Well, boo. What a waste on such an interesting premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel like a waste to me, but others seem to have loved it. It annoyed me more than anything else. :(

      Delete
  6. Doesn't this author also write another series? I may be confusing her with someone else but that's why I requested this book on NetGalley. What a bummer it wasn't that great. We'll see what I think when I eventually get to it.

    ReplyDelete