Found this meme at Musings of a Bookish Kitty who discovered it at Booking Through Thursday.
What kind of care do you take of your books?
1. Are you careful with the spines? Or do you crack your books open to make them lay flat?
If it is my book, I often crack them open to make them lay flat.
2. Do you use bookmarks? Or do you dog-ear the corners? If you do use bookmarks, do you use those fashionable metal ones? Or paper?
I use bookmarks, scraps of paper, and the little card that comes in the front pocket of library books. Flags are nice for referring to specific pages or passages.
3. Do you write in your books? Ever? If you do, do you make small marks, or write in as much blank space as you can find? Pen or pencil? Highlighter? Your name on the front page?
I do write in some copies of my nonfiction books. My copy of Philip Lopate's The Art of the Personal Essay and a few other books that I frequently return to also have highlighting and annotations.
4. Do you toss your books on the floor? Into bookbags? Or do you treat them tenderly, with respect?
I'm not awestruck by books nor do I value them for any reason other than the content (with the exception of a few very old or valuable ones), but I treat them with reasonable care when setting them down or putting them in my bookbag.
5. Do you ever lay your book face-down, to save your place?
Only if in a hurry and there is nothing I can use to mark my page.
6. Um--water? Do you bathe with your books? Hold them with wet hands? Read out in the rain? Anything of that sort?
7. Are your books lined up on a bookshelf? Or crammed in any which way? Stacked on the floor?
Yes. Yes. Yes.
8. Do you make a distinction--as regards book care--between hardcovers and paperbacks?
Some paperbacks that I value receive greater care than do paperbacks in general.
9. And, to recap? Naturally, you love all of your books, but how, exactly? Are your books loved in the battered way of a well-loved teddy bear, or like a cherished photo album or item of clothing that's used, appreciated, but carefully cared for?
I own very few books that have any value outside of their content. I treat all of them with respect, but I'm not overly concerned about them. Art books and books that are quite old receive gentle treatment, but mostly my books are used quite casually. That doesn't mean carelessly...
10. Any additional comments?
Like Bookish Kitty, I am more careful with books that are loaned to me.