Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Larsson, Steig.  The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

This is the last of Larsson's trilogy featuring Mikael Blomkvist, Lisbeth Salander, and Erica Berger.  All three characters appear in each of the 3 books, but Blomkvist dominates the first, Salander, the second, and Berger gets a little more time in the third than she did in the previous two.

Although some feel the concluding book in the trilogy fell a bit short,  I I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Not because of the plot, which did tie together some elements from the first two novels, but because of the characters.  Larsson's writing in each of his three books kept me engrossed with his characters.  In the world he created, the main characters had a complexity and an ability to surprise that kept me committed to them.

Salander's character reminds me of Kathy Mallory in Carol O'Connell's Mallory series; Salander is not an imitation, but  she has  similar characteristics: social ineptitude, psychological damage, and an instinctive brilliance with machines.  Both Salander and Mallory have difficulty relating to people, even feeling sympathy, but both have friends who support them (regardless of how difficult).

I was sad when I finished the series, and like so many others, I hate to say goodbye to Blomkvist and Salander.

Fiction.  Crime/ Suspense.  2010.  576 pages.

6 comments:

  1. I'm one of those who was disappointed by this bok. I just felt like there was not enough Salander in action! haha...

    I'm glad you enjoyed it though and I am sad though that we won't get the rest of the series. I would love to know where Larsson was headed with this and how it would have all wrapped up in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really felt the same way about missing Salander. Berg is a much less interesting character. Still, I did enjoy it and hated for the series to end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still listening to The Girl Who Played With Fire, but I'm excited there's a third to look forward to when I finish. I can't decide if I'll listen to the audio or read the printed book. Once I finish with Larsson's trilogy, I'll move on to Henning Mankel's mysteries. Nan has praised them quite highly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to try listening to the audios!

    I checked a Henning Mankel yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved all three - everyone else I talked to had a favorite or a least favorite - but I loved all of them.

    However - if I was in a bind - I would have to say Played With Fire was my fave. Don't know if it was because of the dominance of Salander or just because it was the first one I read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel exactly the same way, Amelia, and for one of those same reasons: either because I read it first or because it was mostly about Salander.

    ReplyDelete