Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?  -- is a weekly feature at Book Journey.


This past week, I finished:

Zor: Philosophy, Spirituality, and Science by  J.B.-- A parable of sorts that deals with all of the things mentioned in the title by applying them to a fictional character.  Many of the theories, advances, and individuals in neuroscience are included.   Although it is a fictional story, the information is authentic, so I'll probably include it in my "brain" book category.
 
 
Jane Was Here by Sarah Kernochan -- ghost story, reincarnation, karma

before the last all clear by Ray Evans -- a memoir of a WWII evacuee.  Operation Pied Piper planned to move 3.5 million children in 3 days in Sept. 1939.  While one source says that the actual number moved by Pied Piper in the 3 day deadline ended up being 1.9 million, many more were evacuated later.  The war ended in 1945...

Here is a link that gives more information about the evacuations.  Many of these children were separated from their parents for 6 years.

I'm still trying to get the backlog of reviews written and scheduled.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm interested in Jane Was Here. How is that one going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy - I just posted my comment to the wrong post - so here it is again.

    I looked up Jane Was Here, and it looks very interesting.

    Have a good reading week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iliana - I see you found the review!

    Mardel - I've reviewed it now. It read pretty quickly, but the because none of the characters were really likable, I couldn't get invested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. before the last all clear sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kailana - I've always been interested in the circumstances of all those children who were evacuated. Hard to imagine being transported to Wales like Ray Evans was at six years old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before The Last All Clear sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was interesting. It is Ray's personal experience with the evacuation...some bad billets, but some good.

    ReplyDelete