Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

The Stonecutter by Camilla Lackberg

 Another Scandinavian author, Camilla Lackberg is Swedish, and The Stone Cutter is the third book featuring Patrik Hedstrom and his partner, Erica Falck.

Patrik is under stress at home and at work, as Erica is suffering from post-postpartum depression.  When the daughter of one of Erica's friends is found murdered, Patrik has to find a delicate balance in his investigation.

There is also a story that begins in the past, and initially, it is difficult to see just where it is going.  Of course, you know it will tie into the current case, but through which character?

I enjoyed The Ice Princess (which mostly featured Erica), but have not read the second book, The Preacher.  The Stone Cutter is a suspenseful novel that examines the secrets of families and the damage that can be carried from one generation to the next.

Another minor subplot deals with Erica's sister Anna.  It barely gets attention, but since I was interested in this subplot in The Ice Princess, I would have liked more than the few paragraphs allotted here.

Fiction.  Mystery/ Crime.  2010.  480 pages.

4 comments:

  1. I got The Preacher. I have heard a lot of good things of The Ice Princess and think that's the one I should have gotten but this one doesn't sound bad at all apart from your remark about the lack of elaborating the additional story line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The storyline about the sister seems to be a kind of cumulative thing. Hints here and there, but a sideline, not part of the main story. The thing is that it interests me, and I would like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scandinavian crime books are everywhere now. I'm glad

    ReplyDelete
  4. bookmagic - I've enjoyed most of the ones I've read!

    ReplyDelete