Search This Blog

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Regency Buck

Heyer, Georgette. Regency Buck.

Again romance mixed with a little suspense, but with less wit and humor than in The Reluctant Widow. Judith Taverner and her brother Perry are traveling to London to meet their new guardian, Lord Worth. On the way, Perry learns of a "mill" - a prize fight that all of the fashionable (and unfashionable) men are excited about. As a result of the delay, the young Taverners meet some of the characters who will be involved in their London life.

The match Heyer describes is one of the famous matches between Tom Molineaux and Tom Crib, the British heavyweight champion. Again Heyer exercises her meticulous knowledge of the time period, not only with the descriptions of boxing, but with the fashion and manners of the time period and with the contemporary obsession with snuff - snuff blends, snuff boxes, and snuff "etiquette."

The stage is set with great skill, including characters like the Prince Regent, the Dukes of Cumberland and York, Beau Brummel and places like Brighton and London. Heyer manages to educate us seamlessly while telling her stories which are one part comedies of manners, one part romance, and one part mystery/suspense.

However, I liked this novel more for the historical detail than for the plot or the characters, who are one-dimensional and a bit irritating. I very much missed the wit and humor of The Reluctant Widow.


Fiction. Historical Romance. 1935 & 2008. 392 pages.

7 comments:

  1. I need to make sure I stuck The Reluctant Widow on my wish list -- thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just mooched "Why Shoot a Butler" by Heyer. I like the sounds of "The Reluctant Widow." Good grief. My list grows and grows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bookfool- I'm looking forward to more Georgette Heyer. Very cozy reading. They would make great titles for YA novel readers--books that Mama's wouldn't have to worry about!

    framed - Oh, I want to read her detective series, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of those people that has never managed to get interested in a Heyer novel. I have tried a couple times, but, alas, I don't think she is quite for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kailana - It is funny how we fit with some books and/or authors and not others. I really liked The Reluctant Widow, which encourages me to try Heyer again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I highly recommend Lady of Quality - very witty and charming. I have this one so hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. iliana - I'll keep Lady of Quality in mind!

    ReplyDelete