Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

Ruin Falls by Jenny Milchman

Ruin Falls begins with a family vacation to visit seldom seen grandparents.  Before they reach their goal, Liz Daniel's children are taken from a hotel.  Worse yet, it eventually seems that the culprit is her husband.

A frantic Liz tries to unravel the reasoning behind her husband's decision to take their children. 

I'm afraid the novel didn't do much for me.  Liz failed to sufficiently engage my sympathy, but that may have been partly because Paul's reasons for taking the kids seemed kind of silly.  The utopian venture did not feel realistic at all, and the secrets in Paul's past were also a little difficult to swallow.

Read in February.  Blog review scheduled for March 31.

NetGalley/Random House/Ballentine

Mystery.  April 22, 2014.  Print version:  352 pages.

2 comments:

  1. How disappointing! Sounds like the author was stretching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read one other book by the author, and I found that it didn't work for me either. If I'd remembered, I wouldn't have bothered with this one.

    ReplyDelete