Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Collector of Dying Breaths by M.J. Rose

The Collector of Dying Breaths   

Book Description:  "A lush and imaginative novel that crisscrosses time as a perfumer and a mythologist search for the fine line between potion and poison, poison and passion…and past and present."

Well, if you like this kind of book, you'll love this one.  I don't.  I didn't.
This is just my opinion, and I realize M.J. Rose has a many devoted fans.  Sounded interesting, but didn't appeal to me.  The Collector of Dying Breaths (huh?), is part of the Reincarnationist series by Rose.

Not much worked for me on this one:  not the characters, the premise, or the frequent sex scenes.  Billed as mystery and suspense; just as much fantasy and romance.

Whenever I'm truly disappointed in a book, I check other reviews.  It appears I stand alone in my opinion.  But I stand firm.  

Read in January
NetGalley/Atria Books

Mystery/Suspense?  April 8, 2014.  Print version:  384 pages.                    

7 comments:

  1. I have never read M.J. Rose before, but I definitely see her around. Sorry this didn't work for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had you read the other books in the series before this one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly - I think I expected collecting dying breaths to be metaphoric.

    Marg - I didn't realize it at the time, but I later realized I'd read The Hypnotist several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great title though! It's to bad this wasn't for you, but that's the world of books -- a book isn't for everyone. I've been offered MJ Rose's books for review but for some reason they don't totally appeal to me, not to say that I won't give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. guiltless - If I'd remembered that M.J. Rose wrote The Hypnotist which I read several years ago, I wouldn't have accepted this one. That said, the fans of this series love it, but it isn't my kind of book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed other books I've read by M.J. Rose, and so I might like this one. I did like The Hypnotist when I read it. Her books seem to always have a lot of sex in them, now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy - :) I realized I was in a tiny minority on this one!

    ReplyDelete