Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2014

The Burning by Jane Casey


Although the book begins with information about efforts to stop a serial killer who has been killing young women and burning their bodies, the main thread of the plot concerns a body that has some, but not all of the aspects of previous cases.

Has the killer changed his methods, was he perhaps interrupted?  Or...as Detective Constable Maeve Kerrigan comes to believe, was the young woman killed by someone else who would prefer that she be listed as a victim of "The Burning Man"?

Most of the book is from Maeve's point of view and from that of Louise North, the victim's best friend.  Maeve devotes herself to finding out all that she can about the young woman and soon believes that the murderer is not "The Burning Man" at all, but someone much closer to the victim.

Interesting characters, good dialogue, and twists and turns in the plot.  This is a series that I plan to pursue!      


NetGalley/St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books

Police Procedural.  2012.  368 pages.

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading The Reckoning right now which follows this book and it's really good. Maeve is starting to get on my nerve's a bit but I hope she'll mature a bit more as the series progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read any of the previous ones, Iliana? I might start at the beginning of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my eye on this one for awhile. It sounds so good! I am glad you enjoyed it, Jenclair. Is this the second in the series?

    ReplyDelete