Search This Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2007

In Enemy Hands

Weber, David. In Enemy Hands. Science fiction was one segment of Carl's Once Upon a Time Challenge, so I read Off Armageddon Reef by Weber. It was so good that looking for other books by Weber seemed a fine idea. I ordered the first 2 in the Honor Harrington series (a futuristic takeoff on Horatio Hornblower - reviewed here) and liked them as well. I found two more in this series at the library, finished this one, and am about half way throught the next one.

In Enemy Hands is the 7th in the series (arghh...I have to back and pick up #'s 3-6). I will though because I enjoy them so much. Honor, McKeon, and several other old friends are captured. A bit darker that the first two, and this one ends in a cliff hanger...which is why I dived into the next one, Echoes of Honor, immediately.
Fiction. Science fiction/ space opera. 1997. 530 pages.

7 comments:

  1. Good space opera in the hands of a decent writer is tremendous fun. I'm glad you're enjoying the Honor Harrington series. I've not read it myself but I do hear consistently good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the perils of reading series fiction...they can sure play hell with your TBR list, can't they, Jenclair. Before you know it, you've read two or three from a series and are searching for more. You have to love an author who can have that kind of an effect on an unsuspecting reader. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill - The series is full of action and adventure -- lots of fun. I even love all the sections on military tactics and technology.

    Sam - You certainly do have to love an author that has you searching for more! Weber is one of the prolific ones and has been writing a long time, so he will be interfering with my TBR list for quite a while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. started half broken things this weekend - love joss' writing!! I look forward to reading more of her books, especially the series set in bath. em and I visited bath a few years ago and was totally captivated with the place! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim - Joss really does have a remarkable eye for detail and for creating tension. I'm looking forward to more, too. Unfortunately, the one I ordered won't be available for a few weeks, so I'm having to wait.

    I love Bath, too, and would love to visit again as we had so little time there. Visiting the Pump Room was so Austenesque...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any Weber, though I do believe I have one of his newer books that was mistakingly sent to me from Sci Fi Bookclub that I was too lazy to send back. I'll have to go check to see which one that is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carl - I'm a huge Weber fan, thanks to discovering him for your challenge. I've read 5 of his books now: Off Armageddon Reef, the first in his new series and 4 of the Honor Harrington series. He provides great action and entertainment!

    ReplyDelete