Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2007

Unread Author Challenge

Here are the rules for The Unread Author Challenge:

September to February (six months total):

1) In this time, read six books by authors you have never read before. If you would like to read more in this time frame, go for it!

2) You are welcome to approach the Challenge in any of several different ways. You can choose one or two (or 3-5) unread authors and read several of their works, or you can choose six neglected (by you) writers and read a book apiece by them. Authors of fiction, non-fiction, genre fiction, graphic novels/comics, drama, and poetry are all welcome inclusions, although the individual works you choose should be book length. I will leave the definition of "book length" to your discretion, but in my mind a full length play or epic poem would certainly count, as would collections of shorter works.

3) Anytime before the start of the Challenge (September 1, 2007), write a blog entry that links back to this post and lists the authors and works you have chosen. You should feel free to change this list as you go along, or list "alternates," as I have below.

4) Then leave a note in the "Comments" section of this post, letting me know that you have joined and linking back to the blog entry that discusses your list. [If you link back to the specific post rather than to your main blog address, it will make it easier for your fellow participants to find your list.]

My choices:


(1 and 2) I've never read anything by M.F.K. Fisher although I've said for years that I'm going to. I've chosen Long Ago in France: The Years in Dijon and The Art of Eating and have no doubt but that I will love them both.

(3) I almost ordered Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales (A C.G. Jung Foundation Book) by Marie-Louise von Franz for the Once Upon a Time Challenge, but got Mirror, Mirror on the Wall instead, so now is the time for it to step up.


(4) Jane Langston's mystery Emily Dickinson is Dead recommended by iliana.


(5) C.J. Sansom's Dissolution, because I'm fascinated by this historical period and Jill recommended it and gave terrific links in this post. Then I can move on to Dark Fire. Sansom has received high marks from Mary and Ann as well.

(6) Season of the Witch by Natasha Mostert will fit into this challenge and into Carl's R.I.P Challenge.

I have some alternatives in mind, but since the Challenge doesn't start until September, I'm not worried about it yet...and we have 6 months to complete the challenge. I don't really think I'll need any alternatives as these are all books I've been interested in.

UPdate (Friday): I've already ordered them.

I'm almost packed, have a few chores and some errands to run, then off to pick up Thomas and head to Dallas and Tai Chi Legacy. My books and weapons are packed and ready. My uniform and shoes are in the car. Fingers crossed...

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with MFK Fisher. I love her best when she's most personal about food. And sometimes she can be really funny, especially about the sex lives of oysters!

    I have always been curious about C.J. Sansom, just never curious enough to pick it up. Do share how you like Sansom's books.

    I'll probably join you with Natasha Mostert for Carl's RIP Challenge.

    Meanwhile, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably join this challenge as well as there are several authors I've been meaning to read for ages. It would be a great push to finally do so right? But... I really have to finish at least one challenge before I even sign up. That's my own challenge - ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful list, jenclair! I particularly love to inclusion of M.F.K. Fisher, a favorite of my father's who has been neglected by me for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great challenge. I love M.F.K. Fisher, but haven't read her in years, so I'm really interested to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good...you reminded me to put MFK Fisher on my shopping list. But I can't remember which title. Must go back and check.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this looks do-able, but I need to come up with a good list of authors that I have hitherto ignored. MFK Fisher is one example, but I have to think about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would echo the recommendations for Sansom - I found these books really gripping!

    Might have to wander along my bookshelves and see what I could pick out for this challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great challenge, there is a bunch of authors I would like to try but haven't yet. Have you got your copy of "Season of the Witch" Jenclair? I ask only because I have one here that's not being read.

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great challenge, as I collect books by authors recommended to me but that I've never read. This would give me a chance to read some of those books/authors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jenclair, I've joined your challenge and posted about it on my blog. You will find my post with my book choices here:

    http://exlibris.typepad.com/ex_libris/2007/07/unread-authors.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hrm... I've never done one of these types of challenges before, but this one is sorely tempting me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Orpheus - I almost ordered the one about the oysters! It will probably go on the list after I finish the others. I'm looking forward to the Sansom books.

    iliana - Challenges, challenges! I try to limit them, but keep getting pulled in with all of the possibilities.

    pour of tor - I am so looking forward to beginning this challenge!

    gentle reader - Can't imagine not liking Fisher since I've been intending to read her for so long!

    Bybee- I know. Choosing the titles took me a while.

    Jill - I'll be checking for your list.

    HeidiJane- Sansom covers such an interesting period; glad to hear more praise for him.

    Lotus - You are so sweet! I've ordered and received the book already (just need to keep my hands off until time to begin), but I appreciate the offer!

    Ex Libris - That is what is so appealing about this challenge...such a great excuse to follow through with authors you've never gotten around to.

    The challenge was issued by Sycorax Pine, but I wish it had been my idea. :)

    heather - Give in! Participate!

    ReplyDelete